Video Screencast Help

Taking backup from a mapped network share in BE 2012

Created: 11 May 2012 • Updated: 17 May 2012 | 22 comments

i have mapped a network share to a drive using net use command and trying to backup BE 2012. That drive is not visible while selecting data in UI , what should I do?

Getting following error message while trying to take backup from CLI:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-BeAgentServer | Submit-BEOneTimeBackupJob  -FileSystemSelection k:\fs_tester\* -Name ost_
job1 -Storage DELL001
Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob : Cannot make a selection for "K:\fs_tester\*" because the K: volume is not on the specified
agent server.
At line:1 char:46
+ Get-BeAgentServer | Submit-BEOneTimeBackupJob <<<<   -FileSystemSelection k:\fs_tester\* -Name ost_job1 -Storage DELL
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:String) [Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : SessionStateException,BackupExec.Management.CLI.Commands.SubmitBEOnetimeBackupJobCommand

Comments 22 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

You cannot use a mapped drive with BE because mapped drives are associated with an online session.  BE runs as a batch job.  Use the UNC path instead.

santhoshikonam's picture

How to give UNC path? Tried following, but it failed.

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Get-BeAgentServer | Submit-BEOneTimeBackupJob  -FileSystemSelection \\storage-13\vol1\fs_tes
er\* -Name ost_job1 -Storage DELL001
Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob : Cannot make a selection for "\\storage-13\vol1\fs_tester\*" because the \\storage-13\vol1 v
olume is not on the specified agent server.
At line:1 char:46
+ Get-BeAgentServer | Submit-BEOneTimeBackupJob <<<<   -FileSystemSelection \\storage-13\vol1\fs_tester\* -Name ost_job
1 -Storage DELL001
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:String) [Submit-BEOnetimeBackupJob], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : SessionStateException,BackupExec.Management.CLI.Commands.SubmitBEOnetimeBackupJobCommand

Colin Weaver's picture

Is that a Netapp - kind of lokke like it is form the paths?

If it is you might want to look at the NDMP option.

Also ifit is a netapp not sure you can submit jobs via the BEMCLI interface.

alextovey's picture

Why not try to add the backup exec agent on the server itself, what version of windows/linux are you running on the server?

CraigV's picture

...a quick test: Try creating a B2D on that box by doing it through the BE GUI. If it works, permissions and name resolution aren't an issue, and it points to a problem with your syntax.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

Why don't you use the GUI to create your backup, instead of using BEMCLI?

santhoshikonam's picture

We have only read permission on this box. Creating B2D failed with the following error message.

The Backup Exec service account doesc not have read and write permissions on the remote computer on which the network share is located. The backup Exec service account that requires these permissions us on the BE server that you want to access the network share. You must give read and write permissions to the BE service account and try again

CraigV's picture

...then this is your problem. You need RW permission to create a B2D folder. It's obviously going to need that in order to write to the folder.

Resolve that and your problem should be resolved at the same time...without RW access, it's simply not going to work.

santhoshikonam's picture

we need RW for creating B2D folder, but read access is enough if you are taking the data from that server.

Why do you require write access for backup source server?

CraigV's picture

...OK, so now at least it's a bit clearer.

Can you create a file on that folder with the BESA service account? Can you browse to that folder using the BESA?

This looks like it is primarily a permissions issue...

santhoshikonam's picture

which folder you are talking of? B2D folder is not at all got created.

CraigV's picture

...that's why I said that your previous statement cleared things up a bit.

From the media server (having logged onto it using the BESA account), try creating a folder, in Windows Explorer, on your storage and see if it gives you an error...

Lee Doucette's picture

If you just want to back up from a share on a file server, you can do so by adding the file server using the Add Server wizard and choosing the "File server" option. Once the server is added to the list of servers you can create backup jobs and make selections from the shares on the file server.

I'm not certain if this functionality is available via BEMCLI yet, but I'll find out shortly and reply on this thread with an answer.

santhoshikonam's picture

I was able to do it from GUI, didn't find similar thing using BEMCLI. I will be thankful if you can provide the details

CraigV's picture

...if you can't do so from the command line, then please use the GUI...then head on over to the Ideas section and put in a feature request for the same.

But you're banging down the wrong road trying to make something work that can't.

santhoshikonam's picture

I am a automation engineer trying to automate BE testcases, I have to use CLI only.

I can't automate using GUI

CraigV's picture

...then I don't see how the solution you marked is the actual solution if what was being suggested was suggested before (non-automation). Please remove the solution, and when you find a way to do what you're doing (I'd still suggest adding this in as an Idea), THEN please close it off.