Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Tape Library doesn't recognise new tapes

Created: 23 Mar 2014 | 11 comments

Running BE2012 SP4, when I replace the tapes in my HP G2 Autoloader, the new tapes aren't recognised at all.

I've tried:

  • Scanning the libraries
  • Inventory now on the libraries
  • Inventory and catalog on the libraries
  • Scanning, Inventory now and Inventory and catalog on each slo
  • Turning it (the tape machine) off and on again

I have searched the web without success.

Potentially we have been given poor advice on how to set the tapes up?

We have 8 slots. Slots 1-5 are "daily-weekly", 6-7 are monthly and 8 is cleaning tape.

Each tape is labelled: Daily-weekly-x for x in range(15); monthly-x for x in range(6)

The procedure is that every month I swap out the previous set, and put in the new set. I did this last week, replacing daily-weekly-11 (through15) and monthly-5 and -6 with daily-weekly1 (through 5) and monthly-1 and -2.

Despite all the scanning, inventory and cataloging etc; I still have "daily-weekly-12" (through 15) and "monthly-5" and "monthly-6" listed. 

For reasons unknown to me, slot one is listed as "Empty". I think that happened after a scan.

What am I doing wrong?

Operating Systems:

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

a) Run the HP LT&T utility against the tape library and drive.  Make sure you have stopped all the BE services beforehand and that you select the write test.

b) Re-install your tape drive as follows

1) Delete the library from BE

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

c) If the above failed to solve the problem, go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

Lachlan Musicman's picture

I can't remove the library (your step b1) - every time I try, I get a warning about backup sets and retargetting jobs, then when I choose "any storage device" I get "Unable to update the Backup Items" The method Backup ITems was called with invalid arguments.

Also, runniung the HP LT&T utility showed me that I needed to update the utility (4.16-> WebGUI styling of 5.1) , and the two drivers. 

pkh's picture

Repair the BEDB and see whether it solves the problem.  If not, then use tapeinst.exe to remove and re-install the library.  You would need to re-target your jobs after this.

Lachlan Musicman's picture

I managed to remove the Tape Drive, but can't remove the library itself - am still getting the retargeting issue. This is compounded by the error message not really saying enough to fix the error - which Backup Items had invalid arguments, and which arguments were invalid? See screener.

 11.png

Lachlan Musicman's picture

I have now manually retargeted all jobs, and I'm still getting the same error as posted above?

EDIT

Ok, I found the last job that was targetting the tapes. It's a strange UI - each storage entry has a list of jobs, but it isn't a comprehensive list?

Lachlan Musicman's picture

I've just checked in Windows Device Manager - the Symantec driver is dated 12/02/2008 - is that correct? Seems like a very old driver given that there was one released this year by HP and MS?

I installed the driver using tapeinst.exe

pkh's picture

Don't worry about the date of the driver, just use this driver and DON'T use any driver by MS or HP.

Lachlan Musicman's picture

Ah! The secret sauce. Have got the Symantec driver installed now. Am waiting on some tests.

pkh's picture

Don't worry about the date of the driver, just use this driver and DON'T use any driver by MS or HP.

After re-installing the tape library/drive, is your problem resolved?

Larry Fine's picture

Since you mentioned how you labeled the tapes, I will assume that you are not using bar codes on the tapes.  Therefore, doing a "scan" of the library will be of very limited benefit to you.  It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help much.

An inventory job should certainly update the BE GUI slot contents.  Look at the inventory job log.  What tape does it show for each slot?  If the job log shows the correct info, then the library, etc is working and you probably have a BE GUI or DB issue.  If the job log is showing incorrect info (different tapes than you think it should), then you probably need to start the SCSI tracer.exe tool to examine the low level communication to your hardware.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

Colin Weaver's picture

If you are not uisng barciodes then it is possible that you have a batch of tapes that have been serialized by the tape manufacturer with the same GUID. if that has happened then having two tapes with the same GUIDs will cause issues for Backup Exec although I believe this can be solved by erasing and formatting each affected tape with the tape library/drive vendor's own tools (an erase with Backup Exec maintains the serialization so will not help)