Video Screencast Help

Tape library IBM TS3100 and backup exec 2012

Created: 20 Jun 2013 • Updated: 20 Jun 2013 | 14 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

We have recently purchased an IBM system Storage TS3100 tape library with two LTO6 IBM ULT3580-HH6 tape unit.

I have connected one of the tape units to our windows 2008 Server where backup exec 2012 runs. The point is I am trying to add the library hardware to backup exec and the only thing it discovers is the tape unit. 

Does anyone know how could I make backup exec to discover the whole library?

I have connected just one of the tape units, because I am working with a provisional server, as I am waiting for windows Server 2012 to be supported by backup exec.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards.

David.

Operating Systems:

Comments 14 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

In the Windows Device Manager, check that your tape library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and is functioning correctly.  Also, make sure that your tape drives are function correctly.

If either the tape library or the tape drives are not listed in the Device Manager, then BE will not be able to use them.

Jaydeep S's picture

David, I am not sure if I am correct in assuming that the Library is connected over Fibre channel as this is the only supported interface for this library with Backup Exec.

Is the whole library, i.e 2 tape drives and medium changer visible in the Windows Device Manager.

If it is visible there, make sure that the Medium changer is running with Microsoft Drivers and is listed Unknown medium changer and both the Tape drives are using Symantec drivers. If they are running OEM drivers then use tapeinst.exe (Backup Exec program folder) and install Symantec drivers (Reboot if prompted).

Once everything is visible in Windows Device Manager with proper drivers, the library should be visible in Backupexec and can be used for backups.

As for Windows Server 2012, there is a beta SP released, which will allow you to backup these servers using a remote agent. Windoes Server 2012 is not supported as a media server currently and there is no public eta available on this.

ave_int's picture

Hello again,

Device library is connected through a SAS cable/card.

I have been checking in the device manager and I can see the LSI Adapter, SAS2 FAlcon -storport, and also IBM ULT3580-HH6 SCSI sequential Device, but i see no reference to tape library.

Do you mean if the library is connected through SAS interface, backup will never be able to work with it?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards.

David.

Jaydeep S's picture

I would suggest you to work with IBM and recheck the connections and configuration of the Library. BE would see the Medium changer and Tape drivers (Full Robotic Library) only if it is visible in Windows Device Manager.

Edit: Reconfirmed - For connectivity both SAS and Fibre Channel are supported. Here is the link to the HCL

SOLUTION
CraigV's picture

...the fact that the robotics don't show up in Device Manager lead me to believe there is some sort of incompatibility between the SAS card and the library.

Make sure that the SAS card supports tape libraries. If it doesn't organise a card that does...

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

ave_int's picture

Hi,

Thank you for all for your answers, I have just contacted IBM Support and I am waiting for theirt call. Once Windows is able to see it I will update the discussion.

Thank you a lot,

David.

pkh's picture

Make sure that your HBA does not support RAID, with the exceptions listed in the document below

Support policy for HBA that feature RAID

ave_int's picture

Hello again,

I have just talk to IBM support and now I can see medium changer in the device manager. it was a problem with firmware of the library. It appears as unknown medium changer, but I can see it.

I have tried again to discover the library in storage configuration, tape storage, install drivers for tape devices, but I had no new result. So I have unistalled every symantec driver and install it again, and finally I can see the library.

Thank you all for your support. 

kind regards.

David.

CraigV's picture

...it MUST show up as "Unknown Medium Changer" in Device Manager. This is correct.

Thanks!

Larry Fine's picture

1) As PKH said, make sure you are not using a RAID SAS HBA, unless it is one of hte few that are supported.

2) I beleive that you have an issue with the "control path" (or lack thereof).  Since I believe that you are only connected to one of the two tape drives, you are only seeing one tape drive in Windows device manager.  To see both tape drives in Windows Device Manager, you would need two connections to the library.

The robotic library is typically a LUN device ot one of the tape drives.  So depending upon which tape drive you connect to, you have a 50/50 chance of seeing that robotic library.  To resolve this, you can either reconfigure the library to add/change the control path OR you can connect to the other tape drive.

If you intend to hook this library up to two different servers, you probably want to create hardware partitions on the library.  when that happens each of the tape drives will present a control path to the server.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

CraigV's picture

...the issue was resolved as it was the firmware of the library.

Thanks!

Larry Fine's picture

There are no known versions of firmware that fail to make a device show up in Windows Device Manager.  if there were, the HCL would probably list a minimum firmware version to be supported.  I believe that something else changed coincidently.

Sorry for trying to help, I don't understand the downvotes.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

CraigV's picture

...simply put, the OP resolved the issue with a firmware upgrade. Doesn't matter if there is/isn't a known issue. The problem was fixed with the firmware upgrade.

Over & out...!

ave_int's picture

Hi ,

Larry, I was advised about the control path issue I could have, so IBM technician told me to set the control path to the tape drive I was connected to.

Now I can see in the backup exec console an error to the drive that is not connected, but I suppose it will be solved whenever I move BE to the definitive server and connect both tape drives.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

David.