Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Tape shows Active when there is no tape in drive

Created: 17 May 2013 • Updated: 17 May 2013 | 12 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec 2012: A reboot occurred while a job was active. Now all jobs fail because the software thinks there is an active job with a tape in the drive. There is no tape in the drive and no jobs are active.

Any idea on how to make the software realize there is no tape in the drive?

Operating Systems:

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

Twinkle's picture

Did you confirm that there is not tape stuck in the drive ? You can start with rebooting the server and the tape drive . Disable the drive and enable it again.

Check if any event error logged in the event log..

Sush...'s picture

Hello there,

     Try to remove all Tapes from the Library and then restart all BE services.

It seems there is a tape stuck in the tape drive. Also if possible post the screenshot of Tape drive and all the slots.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

johnnymustang's picture

We moved the tape with the hardware option to move. So the tape that it thinks is in the drive is also in Slot 11. We removed the library and the tape is in Slot 11. So 100% sure the tape is not in the drive.

Rebooted, restarted all services and that does not help. Disable and Enable the drive does not work. Inventory does not work.

Can't remove the tape drive because it thinks it is active.

Twinkle's picture

Check the event Log .

Does it allow you to pause and unpause the device ?

In  the Windows device manager, can you confirm is the library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft drivers.if not then try http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH33002

johnnymustang's picture

"Does it allow you to pause and unpause the device ?

In  the Windows device manager, can you confirm is the library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft drivers."

This was a working system. Yes, I can pause and unpause the device, the issue is that it allows thinks it is Active with a tape in it.

Device Manager shows it up under Tape Device as a Quantum LTO 5 which is what it is.

Twinkle's picture

For tape drive it  shows Quantum LTO 5 which is fine , I am talking about the medium changer. Please refer the link which i suggested before . Also make sure the Drive is using the symantec tape device drivers , incase if it is not you need to download the latest symantec tape device drivers and install it . Make sure you reboot properly after the reinstallation of the Drivers .

lmosla's picture

Hello,

Try a Power cycle of the tape drive in this order,

1. Power Off the Server, when it is fully off
2. Fully Power off the Tape Drive
3. Power on the Tape Drive to a 'Ready' State and then
4. Power on the Server

Thanks,

johnnymustang's picture

We did try the power everything off and power back on. Didn't help.

johnnymustang's picture

Fixed it. I went into Device Manager and deleted the tape drives, rebooted the server and that fixed it.

SOLUTION