Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Tapes not detected by Symantec Backup Exec 12.5

Created: 20 Aug 2013 | 6 comments

Dear All,

We have reinstalled our Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Media Server (HP DL380 G5, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard 32bit) after it had crashed. It has detected the tape library (Dell PowerVault 132t LTO3), but unable to show the tapes inside it. I have tried the following

Took inventory and it is successful without any errors

Installed the Tape Library Drivers form tools menu

Restarted both Tape Library and Server

but still no medial was showed, On the media tab.

Need a suggestion on this.

Thank You.

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Confirm from the Windows device manager if the Tape drives are showing with Symantec drivers (I am assuming this would happen as you have installed the drivers) and the Medium changer is showing as Unknown Medium changer and is using Microsoft Drivers.

Once the above is all set, disable / delete the Tape drives first form Backup Exec followed by the Medium changer.

Restart the Backup Exec services and everything should be detected back again. Perform an inventory after this and you should be able to view the media in the slots.

 

CraigV's picture

Hi,

 

Download the Dell tape diagnostic utility. Stop the BE services and see if the tapes show up there...alternatively there should be a web front-end management page that you can log onto. Do so and see if the tapes are listed correctly on the library.

Post back with an update.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Larry Fine's picture

Took inventory and it is successful without any errors

Please look at the BE inventory job log.  Does it show anything in the tape slots or do they show as empty?  If they show as empty, then I would focus on the hardware side.  If they show tapes in slots, then I would focus on the software side (possibly a corrupt BE database).

Are you using bar codes on your tapes?

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

Vimod C. Nair's picture

Thank you all for your support. I would like to add one more thing that I have noticed, Whenever try to take an inventory, no movements from the tape drive is heard of felt, its silent, however I will go through all your suggestions and will get back to you all.

Thank you so much once again.

Jaydeep S's picture

Then I would say. start off with Craigs sugestion to Dell tape diagnostic utility

pkh's picture

Try to re-install your library

1) Delete the library from BE
 
2) Stop the media server and the library
 
3) Start the tape library
 
4) Start the media server
 
5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.
 
6) In BE, install the library if necessary.  Go to Tools --> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to do so.
 
7) Try again.
 
Note that step 5 is important.  If the tape library/drive is not functioning correctly in Windows, BE will not be able to use it.