Video Screencast Help

Task Run Status Not Updating in Console

Created: 17 Jun 2013 • Updated: 18 Jun 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am having an issue where I push a task (any task) to a client, and per the client, the task runs and completes successfully.  The console however shows not started, and eventually times out.  This appears to only happen if the clients are pointed to a particular one of my task servers.  If the clients are pointed at any of my other task servers, tasks complete and report back fine.  I was seeing a error in the client logs on the clients showing that the task server actively refused the connection.  Here is what I have tried so far:

I have uninstalled/ reinstalled Task Server services.  Still having the issue.

I have uninstalled/re-installed all installed Site Server services (Package and Task).  Sill haveing the issue.

I have uninstalled all Site Server services, and uninstalled the management agent all together.  I then reinstalled the agent, let all sub-agents/plug-ins install, then installed Package Server and Task Server services.  This is where I am at now.  I still do not get task run status updates in the console.

The task server actively refused errors have went away, and the logs now look pretty clean.  The client shows a few "Invalid pointer" errors: "LoadTasksDialog():Com_Error Msg:Invalid pointer" & "OnItemChanged():Com_Error Msg:Invalid pointer"

The only message that stands out to me in the client logs on my Task server is a "warning" stating "Object TaskServerHandler is not installed: Invalid class string (-2147221005). This situation should be resolved once the agent rollout has been completed."  I saw in a KBA that this warning is pretty normal, and has not been found to cause any problems.

This looks to be related to my task server, since I can redirect the client to a different task server, and the problem goes away.  

Any ideas?

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

HighTower's picture

Have you checked the Altiris Client Task Data Loader service on the Task Server that the client is connected to?

I think that it's a known issue that this service stops running.  You should set the service recovery to automatically start the service upon failure.

SOLUTION
jpopik's picture

Thank you for your responce.  It looks like that might be the issue.  When I check that service on my "problem" task server, it IS stopped.  When I check that service on a "functioning" task server, it is started.

I attempted to start the service, but it fails to start.  I did set the service recovery, as recommended.  I then rebooted the task server, but I cannot get the service to start.

andykn101's picture

Have you followed “Installing Task Server in IIS 7.0 or 7.5”

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO47804

If you want to completely uninstall and reinstall the Roles in Windows Server 2008 R2 doing it through Server Manager annoyingly leaves the old config files in the inetsrv and inetpub directories behind. Open a command prompt with administrator privileges and run:

start /w pkgmgr.exe /uu:IIS-WebServerRole;WAS-WindowsActivationService

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

MichaelCiv's picture

Restart the Altiris Task Data Loader service, I have to restart this service on all my site servers following a restart on my NS

jpopik's picture

Andy, I have run through that HOWTO.  I have around 24 task servers, and this is the only one with that problem.  The uninstalling all the roles is a good idea.  I'll use that as a last resort, as this is my main site server, and it is the source for all my images and driver library.

Michael, As I stated, the Altiris Task Data Loader service is currently stopped, and starting it fails.