Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Terminal Server with Symantec Endpoint 11.0 logoff problem

Posted Mar 07, 2009 07:15 PM

We have a Microsoft Windows 2008 Server Configured to be a Terminal Server for Remote Users. It is protected by Symantec Endpoint 11.0. Everything is working great except that when users log off of the server, a (mostly black, but sometimes blue) screen stays open for several minutes. I have read on several websites that Endpoint is the cause. Is there a fix for this issue?

• 2.  RE: Terminal Server with Symantec Endpoint 11.0 logoff problem

Posted Mar 09, 2009 10:03 AM

Which version of SEP do you have?

Have you read this thread that seem to be the same problem?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/remote-desktop-hangs-exit#comment-1824301 

• 3.  RE: Terminal Server with Symantec Endpoint 11.0 logoff problem

Posted Mar 09, 2009 10:21 AM

I have the same problem with a Terminal server giving the following error.

The following handles in user profile hive Domain\user (S-1-5-21-1757981266-2139871995-725345543-2139) have been closed because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

Rtvscan.exe (2164)
      HKCU\Software\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\AV\Custom Tasks (0x7e0)

I have SEP 11 MR4_MP1 installed.

• 4.  RE: Terminal Server with Symantec Endpoint 11.0 logoff problem

Posted Mar 09, 2009 10:21 AM

We are using Symantec Endpoint Protection Version 11.0.2010.25.

I just read through the thread you're referring to. Doesn't appear to me that any of the solutions there are 100% positive solutions. Appear to work for some and not others. I'd rather not monkey with registry changes, etc for a solution that may not work.

Are we missing a critical update or something? How do I go about getting the Maintenance Release?

• 5.  RE: Terminal Server with Symantec Endpoint 11.0 logoff problem
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 10, 2009 08:44 AM

Easiest way to get the client update is to go to the Symantec FTP

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/symantec_endpoint_protection/11.0/updates/SEP32_25To2224_clientMSPMSI.exe

This file should upgrade from your version to MR3 release otherwise you can download the new releases from fileconnect.symantec.com but then you need the serial number to your contract to get the files.

Unfortunately the version MR4SP1a (latest release) has some major network performance bugs that you do not have in MR3 which I would recommend instead.

• 6.  RE: Terminal Server with Symantec Endpoint 11.0 logoff problem

Posted Mar 10, 2009 09:58 AM

Finally figured out the problem. We used to get notified of Maintenance Releases, but some time or another our "Notify me" checkbox got unchecked. We've updated our profile to correct that.

We also got on the phone with a support rep yesterday and downloaded the SEP 11.0.4 CD and have begun rolling it out. It fixed the issue on our remote server immediately. I will definitely look into the network performance bugs with MR4 to see if we need to roll back to that instead. So far so good, though.

Thanks for the help!