Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Is there more info about SMC.exe crashing on GUP 12.1 RU4?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:35 PM

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has more information about the tech article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH213461

"The SMC.exe processes crashes on Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU4 when Group Update Provider functionality is enabled"

This was created on 2013-12-19, and there has been no update.

Does anyone know if this is OS version related, configuration related, or related to the number of clients?  The article says nothing about any conditions, and seems to be saying not to enable GUP on 12.1 RU4, or the SMC process will crash.

Is anyone running GUP''s on 12.1 RU4 in a production environment with at least 500 clients per GUP?  Are you seeing any SMC crashes?

We were planning on upgrading our 12.1 RU3 environment at the end of 2013, but have been holding off because of this issue.  But, I am wondering if the crash only occurs under a very specific set of circumstances, because I would think more people would be talking about it if it occurs under normal configurations.

I know I could create special configurations and keep all our GUP's at 12.1 RU3, but I don't want to complicate things without a really good reason.

Any comments about 12.1 RU4 and GUP's would be welcome.  Or for that matter, any thoughts about RU4 issues you have run into after upgrading would be good. 

Thanks,

Robert

• 2.  RE: Is there more info about SMC.exe crashing on GUP 12.1 RU4?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:39 PM

Similar thread here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-message-about-smc-crash#comment-9800421

I see it from time to time in our environment on both server 2003 and 2008, it's rare though. And a restart of smc seems to get it back to normal.

Aside from that, a fix will need to be in the next release.

• 3.  RE: Is there more info about SMC.exe crashing on GUP 12.1 RU4?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 05:39 PM

More updates will be availabel when RU5 is released, 

Subscibe to the product updates

Subscribing to Product-Specific Software Alerts

1. Navigate to Symantec’s Enterprise Support Home Page.
    2. Choose one of the product families listed under the Top Products section or click on theSupport Products A to Z link and navigate to the desired product landing page.
    3. Login using your SymAccount credentials by clicking on the Login link found on the upper right-hand side of the page.
    4. Click on the Product Alerts link, located on the right-hand side of the page.Click on the Subscribe: Email link found on the upper right-hand side of the page.
    1. After clicking on either of the subscribe links (SymWISE articles or Common Topics), you should see a confirmation screen. Click on the Subscribe button.
    2. To manage product-specific Software Alerts subscriptions, ensure you are logged in via SymAccount. Then click on the Manage Subscriptions link found on the right-hand side navigation menu under the MySymantec header.

Check this Article:

QuickStart Guide - How to subscribe to and manage SymWISE article and channel subscriptions

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO31128

You may also place a call to support team to know if there has been any update on the bug fix

• 4.  RE: Is there more info about SMC.exe crashing on GUP 12.1 RU4?

Posted Feb 13, 2014 07:32 PM

I've also had some GUP servers stop providing updates because the SMC.exe process randomly stopped.  We are currently on 12.1 R3.  The release notes for R4 say this issue was resolved.  Perhaps not.  I will be watching this thread closely.

• 5.  RE: Is there more info about SMC.exe crashing on GUP 12.1 RU4?

Posted Feb 14, 2014 12:37 AM

subscribe to the notification , support can check if this has been resolved based on the Etrack mentioned in the article.

• 6.  RE: Is there more info about SMC.exe crashing on GUP 12.1 RU4?

Posted Feb 14, 2014 05:35 PM

Thank you for the feedback everyone.  I just thought it strange that there has been no update.  I did subscribe to the tech article when it came out.  I thought there would be some sort update within weeks, be it something as simple as 'Still working on it", "Unable to duplicate", or "Yes, it is going to require a patch" But there has been nothing for almost two months.