Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Is there a protection gap when upgrading from SEP 11 to SEP 12.1?

Posted Oct 15, 2012 04:16 PM

We are deciding whether to prompt the user to reboot when we push the SEP 12.1 upgrade to machines that have SEP 11.  If there is a protecting gap in the installation process, then I want to prompt the user to keep that gap as short as possible.  If there is no gap in protection, then I would consider not prompting the user and just waiting until the next time the user reboots.

• 2.  RE: Is there a protection gap when upgrading from SEP 11 to SEP 12.1?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 15, 2012 04:19 PM

No, the client will remain on 11.x until you reboot. At which point it will finish the 12.1 upgrade during the reboot and you will be good to go.

A response I recevied from Symantec some time back with the same question:

"In the case of an upgrade over the previous version, we do what’s called a “side-by-side” upgrade in which version 11 will be left running until the reboot, during which we will remove 11 and replace it with the version 12."

• 3.  RE: Is there a protection gap when upgrading from SEP 11 to SEP 12.1?

Posted Oct 15, 2012 04:27 PM

Thumbs Up to both Ed and Brian.

Really a great question and answer.

Most of people don't know what's going on when upgrading from 11 to 12.1 versions. And one of the most important new feature that coming from SEP. Even in corruption when installing there's no defect for protection.

Regards,

Oykun

• 4.  RE: Is there a protection gap when upgrading from SEP 11 to SEP 12.1?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 16, 2012 09:28 AM

Hello,

I agree with Brian.

11 > 12.1 is a different kind of installation than 11.x > 11.x+1 was.

It's a side-by-side, replace on reboot model, instead. You will not get the 12.1 client protection until the reboot is completed, even if it is just only antivirus protection.

SEP 12.1 uses the MSI (Microsoft Windows Installation Service) to copy the install files into a staging directory, and to create a handler service to manage the remainder of the installation. Once this new installer service is configured and started, the MSI "Installation" has completed successfully and will close.

When the installation service executes, it completes the installation of the SEP 12.1 files, folders, drivers and registry entries. However, this installation service is designed to avoid forcing a reboot, and as such will not replace the drivers and services associated with the SEP 11 client. Instead, the SEP 11 and SEP 12.1 clients will effectively be installed side-by-side, pending a reboot.

During the reboot, the installation service will complete the removal of the SEP 11 client and start the SEP 12.1 client.

Consequently, the installation of the SEP 12.1 client will not take effect until after the computer is rebooted.

Reference:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163086

Hope that helps!!