Video Screencast Help

IS there a way to completely remove a tape drive from Backup Exec Storage

Created: 20 Dec 2013 | 9 comments

Hi all,

We have had ongoing issues with BE2012 and our IBM 3100 robotic library.  I am pretty sure they have mostly been caused by hardware issues related to the robotic library.

One of the drives has now completely died (the library has 2 drives) and the only way I can get the library to work is to physically remove the drive.  This is not a major problem as it is possible to get all my jobs to work only on one drive (I have set all my jobs to specifically use the good drive).

The problem is that Backup Exec still tries to find two drives.  I have tried to set the 'missing drive' as offline and disabled, but it still seems to complain about the drive being offline.

Is there a way to completely remove the drive from Backup Exec > Storage so that it shows my Robotic Library with only one available drive?

Operating Systems:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

Run tapeinst.exe to remove unavailable tape drives.

It is located at X :\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

twshelpdesk's picture

Thanks for the quick response.

I ran it and it did seem to say that it had uninstalled one of the drives, however it still seems to be there (even after a reboot).

BE is also emailing me storage error alerts because of this

pkh's picture

Before you use tapeinst to uninstall the dead tape drive, make sure that you have removed it from the Windows Device Manager

twshelpdesk's picture

Ok I have tried all that.

I tried deleting the drives and the media changer from device manager, then running tapeinst.exe and also manually deleting  the drives from BE itself.

But everytime I reboot the server the library reappears with the two drives (one marked as MISSING DEVICE)

pkh's picture

After you reboot your server, did you check that the second tape drive is not present in the Device Manager?

pkh's picture

Go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

Larry Fine's picture

You probably need to start with the library itself.  Make sure the library knows it only has and should have one drive.  It may do this automatically when powered up or you may need to change it via the LCD or web interface.

Make sure that you only have one drive visible in windows device manager.  Reboot if needed.

Then disable & delete the library and drives from BE and restart BE services.  BE should now only report one drive.

The "missing drive" occurs in BE when the library tells BE "I have two drives", but BE can only find one of the drives on the SCSI/FC bus.  So BE creates the "missing" to draw your attention to the misconfiguration.

If that doesn't fix it, please post your adamm.log file here.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.