Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

This is the third time I am trying to submit the same post... SEP 12.1 does not work!

Created: 02 Sep 2012 | 26 comments

The firewall is malfunctioning.

What's up with that???

What do I do now???

Thanks!

Comments 26 CommentsJump to latest comment

joepcr64's picture

Thank you so very much for your prompt reply!

Screenshot is attached...

Tried restarting the system 3 times: Initially to conclude the installation process and twice after that.

I will read the link as soon as I hit the send button...

FWMF.JPG
joepcr64's picture

Oops... Did you want me to attach the file teeferinstall.log?

The doc to which you referred me was for Win7, I am running XP.

joepcr64's picture

Wow... Everything I have read... and there seems to be a lot of "Firewall" and "Teefer" problems plaquing everyone for years... All of which seems pretty complicated for a dumb, old math instructor like me!!!

joepcr64's picture

I just hit the repair radio button and start about 55 seconds ago!

I will let you know the results momentarily!

pete_4u2002's picture

are you using local admin to install?

can you check if the services of sep have started?

joepcr64's picture

Yes, this is my personal tablet for projecting lectures; so it is self-managed.

Where would I look to see if the services have restarted.

pete_4u2002's picture

go to start and run and type services.msc

and check for symantec endpoint protection and symantec management client

joepcr64's picture

Management Client and Netweok Access Control are stopped... I found this in System Information.

joepcr64's picture

start and run and type services.msc... This did not start them, but I went to Services are restarted both of them

joepcr64's picture

Pete,

I guess we exhausted all of the possible solutions...

Can you recommend a good AV package for Win XP?

Thanks!

Jim

joepcr64's picture

NOW I AM STARTING TO LOSE MY SENSE OF HUMOR.... SEP WILL NOT LET ME UNINSTALL IT ! ! !  THAT IS SIMPLY NOT RIGHT IN SO MANY WAYS ! ! ! !

Beppe's picture

Hi,

without a dedicated SNAC license, it's normal its service is stopped and you don't need it for a self-managed system. The firewall is malfuctioning because the Symantec Management Client service is down.

I can understand you, the product is not meant for non-IT professionalists, in fact it is not a consumer product but an enterprise one, if you are part of an organization, your IT department or service provider should take care of installing, managing and mainteining all SEP installation in your organization.

So, your institution did not buy a broken SW, you are just facing an individual issue and you should contact your IT help desk. In alternative, if entitled, you may contact the Symantec Tech Support but it is expected a good IT knowledge, again it is not a consumer product.

If you are still considering to change AV package, You should test our Norton branded AV products, those are consumer AV's.

Regards,

Giuseppe

Prachi's picture

Please provide us with the teeferInstall.log from C:\Windows\Temp.

Best Regards, 

Prachi Tatkare.

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Simpson Homer's picture

run clean wipe and wipe off the previous install and then do a fresh install

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Is this Thread continued from the previous Thread by you? 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pls-pls-pls-how-do-i-uninstall-sep-121-xp-sp3-machine

Is this issue occurring on all client machines or only on 1 specific XP client machine?

Could you specifically state - what issue are you facing, so that we could assist you better.

Any Particular Reason, you want to uninstall SEP 12.1 from your machine?

Since you are running SEP 12.1 on your XP machine, you would require Symantec CleanWipe version 12.1.

This utility is available with Symantec Technical Support.

How to get the CleanWipe tool (Endpoint Removal)

and

Check this Article on:

Methods for uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection

Secondly, incase your issue requires urgent attention than I would suggest you to create a Case with Technical Support.

Either create a Case online by following the steps provided in the Article below:

How to create a new case in MySymantec (MySupport)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58873

OR 

Call Technical Support -

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)

Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)

United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.