Video Screencast Help

Thousands of "Update Client Configuration" Tasks

Created: 08 May 2012 | 13 comments

We're seeing something odd in our console and I was hoping someone could let me know whether it's indicative of a problem or expected behavior. Client Management Suite 7.1 SP2.

When assigning Tasks to a Policy, our Select Task page is showing thousands of instances of Task Type "Update Client Configuration" with a name of "Update Configuration On Package Servers : Accelerated Package Staging". Those Tasks don't show up anywhere when I go to Manage > Jobs and Tasks. It looks like some kind of Task cleanup may not be taking place?

Anyone know if this is working as designed or does this bear further investigation?

Comments 13 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ray OConnor's picture

I'm seeing the same thing all of a sudden that has brought my Management Console to a crawl.

 

Description: Task instance Update Configuration On Package Servers : Accelerated Package Staging (2012-05-14 12:17:27 PM) is being put to sleep until 2012-05-14 12:38:02 PM. Instance GUID: 1f8c3c03-41a2-4133-8fcb-4cfe44f47651

JoeVan's picture

Seeing the same thing.  ~85,000 of these in my task picker.  These tasks are running on my task servers every several minutes.  Ever find a solution to this?

Joe VanHollebeke
Systems Engineer

JaredSeth's picture

No, I didn't and haven't really had time to circle back around to it. We are in the process of rebuilding a bunch of Site Servers so I'd almost started to believe that this was expected behavior. In our case, it doesn't appear to be causing any significant performance issues but the list does keep growing.

JoeVan's picture

I have a ticket open for this.  I'll let everyone know what we conclude...

Joe VanHollebeke
Systems Engineer

spastor's picture

Hi,

Do you have any feedback from support? Let us know how is this going...

Thanks

 

 

JaredSeth's picture

I noticed in the release notes for the latest v4 Rollup that it lists an item # 2676645: "Create cleanup script to remove orphan SWM tasks."

I suspect the included “OrphanTasks.bat” may get rid of those entries. I'll be installing it this coming weekend and will report on what I find.

spastor's picture

Hi,

There is a stored procedure in SMP 7.1 SP1 called tmcleanupTaskOrphans, but it does not help. If fact, what we found is that there is a hidden policy creating those tasks. So it seems every managed delivery policy is creating a new instance of this task.

This is also creating problems with the TaskInstances table and cleanup and summary tasks not working properly

Our current workaround is to delete the tasks with some scripting. Keep in mind your Task server might be affected too, the history folder is getting full of files and when you click on "Task History" the interface takes a long time to load

How many SW policies do you manage? How many endpoints?

Regards

Santiago

 

 

JaredSeth's picture

In our case, we don't have a ton of software policies yet as we're just ramping up. We're managing close to 20,000 endpoints. What we *are* doing though is building out a bunch of new Site Servers and getting those packages that we have created replicated out to them. I thought that might be what those Accelerated Package Staging tasks are.

spastor's picture

I've checked this is appearing in other systems, some SMP 7.1 SP1 and some SP2.

Keep an eye on the taks history on site servers as it can grow along time

Let's see if support can shed some light on this. good luck

Regards

Santi

 

JaredSeth's picture

I've applied the v4 rollup and run the cleanup batch files, but we're still seeing tens of thousands of those items listed. Hopefully JoeVan's support incident will yield some further information.

Rajaganesh's picture

There is a Pointfix available that can be provided by Support. Please refer to  "Pointfix_eTrack2758279.zip"

 

 

Rajaganesh's picture

As far as I know  there is no issue reported after applying the pointfix