Video Screencast Help

TL2000 - NDMP support - Logical Parition

Created: 15 Apr 2014 | 10 comments

Hi,

I got a TL2000 with 2x FC Tape Drives - LT06 that will be connected to VNX Data Mover.

Found this note on the NDMP section of HCL.

NDMP only supports libraries (real or virtual). Stand-alone tape drives are not supported when using Direct-attach or Remote NDMP Connection methods.

Question.

1. When I partition my TL2000 to two (2) logical tape libraries will I still be able execute NDMP backups - Direct attach ?

---> Will Symantec see the Logical Tape Libraries as Tape Libraries even if each logical tape library has one tape drive only ?

2. Will NDMP backups be possible with a Tape Library with a single tape drive only ?

3. I found this note also:

The tape drive drivers are supplied by the NDMP platform vendor when using Direct-attach or Remote NDMP Connection methods.

Since, I have an EMC Data Mover, I guess I will need to check with EMC if the Data Movers support TL2000 - LT06 tape drives.

Has anyone tried recently doing direct attach backups on EMC Data Movers via NDMP using a Tape Library with LT06 FC drives?

Thanks,

Paul

Operating Systems:

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

It should be as follows:

1. A stand-alone tape drive has no robotics, and is a single-slot, no magazine unit. Your VTL would simulate the robotics, and if presented to BE, it in turn should see 2 tape libraries with associated robotics and tape drive.

2. It should, there is no mention of multiple drives being a requirement for NDMP.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pmevalenzuela's picture

Thanks for the reply...

For NDMP backups "direct attach".

Iv'e checked my TL2000 with 2x FC LT06 Tape Drives its supported on symantec HCL.

---> But I can't find any document stating LT06 for the TL2000 is supported from EMC.

Question:

1. If I execute a remote NDMP backup with a tape library connected to my Backup Exec 2012 server, which drivers should I use, Backup Exec drivers or from NDMP provider drivers ?

2. Do I need my Tape Library to be supported by EMC, if I use Remote NDMP backups. As I understand with this setup the Tape Library is directly connected to my BE 2012 server and not the NDMP device.

3. Can I do remote NDMP backups even without Tape Libraries or VTL. Simple backup to local hard drives?

Thanks,

Paul

CraigV's picture

Hi,

1. Symantec always recommend using the Symantec drivers for your drive. Do so, and if it doesn't work you can always switch to the manufacturer drivers.

2. Not sure...you can ask this on the EMC support portal (https://community.emc.com/community/support).  I would assume that this is simply a form of pass-through and the NDMP unit won't need it to be supported. The EMC forum can assist with this.

3. This should be possible. Check the NDMP section in the Admin Guide for additional information.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

1. Symantec drivers

2. No

3. Yes

pmevalenzuela's picture

Hi pkh,

Hope you can advice on this matter.

TL2000 LTO-6 FC is supported on Symantec HCL dated April 10, 2014.

However, there is a clause on the HCL under NDMP...

The storage devices supported by the NDMP option are included with the Tape Library / Virtual Tape Library sections. In these sections, search by storage device

vendor, then model, then look for a check [4] in the NDMP column for support. Please note that the presence of a check means that Symantec will support the

storage device and NDMP combination IF and ONLY IF the NDMP vendor also supports the library / drive combination. Please refer to the NDMP vendors'

Please Note:

1. The tape library drivers are supplied by Symantec with Backup Exec 2012.

2. The tape drive drivers are supplied by the NDMP platform vendor when using Direct-attach or Remote NDMP Connection methods.

3. NDMP only supports libraries (real or virtual). Stand-alone tape drives are not supported when using Direct-attach or Remote NDMP Connection methods.

4. Vaildate that firewalls allow NDMP traffic.

5. LTO6 support is very new. Please verify LTO6 support with your NDMP platform provider.

------------

Question

1. I've checked with EMC TL2000 - LT06 is not supported.  Can I still execute NDMP remote backups with Backup Exec 2012 ? Since, the drivers should for the tape library will be from Symantec & I don't need EMC to support the TL2000 (because the TL2000 is not directly connected to the Data Mover)

2. Would I be able to execute NDMP direct attach backups with my current scenrio?

Thanks,

Paul

pkh's picture

Is the tape library connected to both the NDMP device and the media server?

pmevalenzuela's picture

The Tape Library will be connected directly to the EMC Data mover via FC-Aux Port 2 or 3. For Direct Attach.

For Remote backups - the TL2000 will be connected to the BE2012 media server via SAN switch, I understand I will not have any problems even if EMC does not support the Tape Library?

pkh's picture

For the connection from the media server directly to the tape library, the tape library and tape drives must be in the HCL for them to be supported

pmevalenzuela's picture

The TL2000 with LTO6 FC drives is on the HCL - Symantec.

But it is not under HCL - EMC.

As I understand I can still execute remote NDMP backups without any problems. Since, the TL2000 is connected to my Backup Exec 2012 media server. Drivers for the tape drive to be used will be from Symantec & not EMC.

Thanks,

Paul

Larry Fine's picture

For Remote backups - the TL2000 will be connected to the BE2012 media server via SAN switch, I understand I will not have any problems even if EMC does not support the Tape Library?

Correct.  Support from the NDMP vendor is not needed when using "remote" method.

From the HCL, under the "remote" connection method description:

Data travels from the NDMP host, across the local network to a Backup Exec server, to a tape or disk device connected to the Backup Exec server. Any supported tape or disk device can be used with this method. A checkmark is NOT needed in the NDMP column since the tape or disk device is not directly connected to the NAS.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.