Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Is trial license key needed to continue "basic functionality" of PGP 10.2

Posted Mar 26, 2012 07:34 PM

As stated in the release notes for several different flavors of PGP Desktop 10.2 trialware,  PGP may be used non-commercially without a license, even after the trial period ends, with only "basic functionality."  But, will installations continue to function at the same level after the trial period ends if no license KEY is ever entered into the program (like the free trial key sent via email)?

• 2.  RE: Is trial license key needed to continue "basic functionality" of PGP 10.2

Posted Mar 26, 2012 09:49 PM

If you install PGP and do not enter any license, it should immediately start functioning at the Freeware level.  If you enter a license of any kind (including the Trial), its level of functioning will not be reduced to the Freeware level until the license expires.

• 3.  RE: Is trial license key needed to continue "basic functionality" of PGP 10.2

Posted Mar 27, 2012 12:44 PM

When trial license expires, you just get PGP Zip feature (file encryption). That´s all you can use.

If disk is encrypted, it will be decrypted afte 90 days of expiration

Check this articles:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149025

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH179865

• 4.  RE: Is trial license key needed to continue "basic functionality" of PGP 10.2

Posted Mar 27, 2012 03:21 PM

First, thanks to respondents for their time.  I tried searching the forums

for "basic functionality"  was only able to find apposite comments by Tom

Mc, Suhaib, and rcm from last August.  But, I imagine this issue has

become somewhat worn out recently.

There SEEMS to be a little difference of opinion above.  Julian_M, when

you say PGPzip is "all you can use" do you mean the only install

"features" or the only functionality you can use non-commercially after

the trial period without a license?  This shifts the subject of this thread

(such as it is) somewhat to "what is 'basic functionality'?"

For example, I selected only a single feature during one Desktop 10.2

installation, PGPzip, which the installer declared I could use without a

license.  No license key was needed nor was one ever entered to use

that feature. The installation provided other PGP functionality including

PGPtray, PGPkeys, and "Options" on one of the PGP Desktop menus. 

Did I assume incorrectly that what operated for this trial period was the

"basic functionality" referred to in the release notes?

Promptly, thirty days after installation, the program began providing

dramatically less functionality:

1) The Shredder icon vanished and PGP Shred became unavailable.

2) "Options" were no longer available from the drop down menu on the

PGP Desktop window, or from anywhere else that I could find.

3) PGPtray vanished, along with its Current Window and Clipboard

functions.

Is "basic functionality" supposed to include these functions or not? 

• 5.  RE: Is trial license key needed to continue "basic functionality" of PGP 10.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 28, 2012 05:43 PM

Hi Dur!

There are multiple capabilities in the PGP Desktop software and this can best be seen in Help -> License (the one depicted below is fully featured):

Versus one where the trial license ran out:

Now, the EULAs are here (click on "Business Products" when you get there and scroll down): http://www.symantec.com/about/profile/policies/eulas/.  Section 11 is interesting.  As far as what features you can use "non-commercially", I don't know, but this may help in determining that.  Tom Mc?

Since Symantec acquired PGP Corporation, there have been some technical changes to how licensing works.  If you scroll down on the "149025" document, you will see a "Legacy ID" - which means this was ported over from the legacy PGP KB.  The "179865" document doesn't have this and is the newer document (but both can be edited, so which one is *more* up to date cannot be determined by this method.)

When a license expires and a certain amount of time elapses, features are (intelligently) disabled.  I believe the one that remains is PGP Zip - which is file-based encryption/decryption only, but I haven't tested every feature to see what breaks in one condition or another condition - I'm essentially looking at that license screen and seeing the main features disabled.

A word about PGP Desktop: there is one installer (well, one for 32-bit Windows, one for 64-bit windows, another for Linux, etc. etc.), but multiple ways to buy it (which pieces do you want) - so the thing purchased may have a different name.  This breakdown is:

PGP Desktop features vs. program titles
    Program titles (things you would buy) below; Features to the right NetShare Messaging Zip Virtual Disk Whole Disk
    PGP Whole Disk Encryption     X X X
    PGP Desktop Email   X X X  
    PGP NetShare X   X X  
    PGP Desktop Professional   X X X X
    PGP Desktop Storage X   X X X
    PGP Desktop Corporate X X X X X

The ones that I know will be disabled during license expiry are NetShare, Messaging, Virtual Disk, and Whole Disk.  Other features that aren't listed here, such as Shredder, key search, management via Universal Server, and others - I don't know.  I wish that there was a document that outlined this, but I haven't seen it.  I'm happy to poke someone in the eye over this and see what we can find out - but this seems like an edge-case - the software is not free?

Let me know if how I can help!