Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Trying to pull a factory image from a Dell 760 but failing...

Posted Jul 16, 2009 02:10 PM
    Hello.
    I'm trying to grab an image of the generic dell 760 but it fails when trying to use the winPE.

The following are the error messages I get from the console:
    ------
    Drivers could not be found in the PreOS for the following devices:

Manufacturer: "Intel", Description: "Intel(R) 92567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection", PCI Vendor: 0x8086, PCI device: 0x10de, PCI Subsystem: 0x27f1028
    Manufacturer: "Intel", Description: "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller", PCI Vendor: 0x8086, PCI Device: 0x3a02, PCI Subsystem:0x27f1028

-----

I've been reading and reading and reading the forums, but I don't quite understand exactly how to add these drivers into the winPE install, if I have to do that at all.  Is it that cut and dry, or will I run into issues with the PCI Subsystem as well being the same?

Thanks for your help.
    Milnes

• 2.  RE: Trying to pull a factory image from a Dell 760 but failing...

Posted Jul 16, 2009 02:17 PM
    use a dos or linux based boot disk and your problems will go away :)

• 3.  RE: Trying to pull a factory image from a Dell 760 but failing...

Posted Jul 16, 2009 02:23 PM
    But eventually I want to use the DeployAnywhere feature. Right now I'm carrying 8 different images for my models. I'd love to slim down to 1 image, and I believe that DA can do that... but I thought you had to use the winPE.

• 4.  RE: Trying to pull a factory image from a Dell 760 but failing...

Posted Jul 16, 2009 02:29 PM
    yes your right.  using DA does require winPE.  use this document to inject drivers into your PE disk.  also disable ahci in your bios, switch it to ATA mode.

service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2008050911464460

also when editing a PE image make certain to first duplicate the the original PE image.  if you mess up an original PE image the only way to fix it is to reinstall ghost

• 5.  RE: Trying to pull a factory image from a Dell 760 but failing...

Posted Jul 16, 2009 02:43 PM
    i just remembered something..  during one of my support calls with symantec the technician told me of a known problem with one of the intel NIC drivers and instructed me to get the latest one from the Intel website.  make sure you get your driver from intel and not dell

• 6.  RE: Trying to pull a factory image from a Dell 760 but failing...

Posted Jul 16, 2009 03:27 PM
    Manufacturer: "Intel", Description: "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller", PCI Vendor: 0x8086, PCI Device: 0x3a02, PCI Subsystem:0x27f1028

Good luck with that one. You basically have to take the info from the error and add it to the skip.pci.manifest.txt file. I have done this before and it worked fine, but I'm running into the same thing again when migrating to a new server.

Here is the old Symantec forum post about it.
    www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/problems-dell-755-intel-82566dm-and-gss25

As for the other problem, grab the latest driver and uncompress it.
    Find the folder for your OS.
    Start the Ghost boot wizard, then select Windows PE, and Edit
    on the next window, selecte PE, then edit
    Click add driver and point it to the folder, add a name, etc..
    Once it adds, you MUST check the driver box for the new one as this forces a re-compile
    click OK and let it compile
    Once it is done, you can get out of it.

If you are using the Ghost console, you should go to options, client tab and change the default template to the one you just added

• 7.  RE: Trying to pull a factory image from a Dell 760 but failing...

Posted Jul 16, 2009 04:10 PM
    Ok, I just fixed the SATA AHCI issue.

Go to pci.manifest.txt
    back up the file*
    Find 0x8086 at the bottom
    make a new line and add
    0x3a02 = (0x27f1028),
    save file

Make sure you do not add a driver in WinPe or it will write the pci.manifest.txt over and remove the entry