Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Aug 16, 2009 02:32 AM
     Ok, So i tried to Uninstall my Symantec AntiVirus program (Which i Got from a University) from MY vista PC. I attemped to use the normal Add/Remove Programs way but was then prompted  to enter an uninstall password.  Because I didn't know what the Password was, I used the symantec website to take me step by step to remove it manually. I was told that i had to uncheck the "Enable Tamper Protection" Box but I can't because  a Lock by the Administrator has been set. Now what has made me really confused is that I HAVE THE ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS OF THE COMPUTER but yet i'm unable to ucheck this darn box. Is there a piece of information I'm missing? Does Local Admin Rights mean something different than "the adminstrator of the computer"? Is there a Master Password that would enable me to follow the Add/Remove Programs way of unistalling it?
    Can someone please help me?

----- I tried calling Techinical Support with the hope of being helped, I was told that the password I should enter was 'symantec' in lowercase characters (This didn't work!!!). I was then told that I needed to get a local techinican  to uninstall it for me. Now mind you I actually didn't pay for Symantec AntiVirus because of a deal between the University and me, So why should I have to pay to Uninstall it?------ 

• 2.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Aug 16, 2009 08:19 AM
    Disable the uninstall  password from the Registry and then try to uinstall SAV

Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\AdministratorOnly\Security\UseVPUninstallPassword

Change the value to 0 from 1

And this will disable the password

• 3.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Aug 16, 2009 10:25 AM
    you may need to do that in safe mode due to tamper protection

• 4.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Aug 25, 2009 11:04 PM
    How do you get to the registry. I am also having the same problem because my University installed it onto my computer. I have already tried the 'symantec' password but it did not work. When I go to the Symantec Antivirus program it only gives options of scans and viewing historys, I do not see any kind of registry. Can you give me a step by step of how to do it? Thank you!

• 5.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Sep 10, 2009 08:41 PM

I got the Symantec antivirus from the company where I work, when I try to unisntall it through the tool Add/Remove it start the process and almost at the end it says that there was an error and was unable to uninstall the software.
    It does not ask for any password and it does not say what failed,  I tried to disable the tamper protection without success.
    Where do you write the password? I do not see any option to write a password, please explain step by step.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

• 6.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 11, 2009 03:46 AM
    The password is only required if it is enabled .

Please try the following steps:

1. Download the msi cleanup utility from  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301   and remove SAV with the help of that.
    2. If you are not able to remove by this method call tech support on local support no and as for NONAV. It is a removal tool for SAV
    3. Else remove it mannually http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2006022212084148

• 7.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Sep 11, 2009 11:51 AM
    Actually, NoNav is an old removal tool that should no longer be used.  Cleanwipe is the current removal tool for SAV and SEP that is available through Support.

sandra

• 8.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Sep 11, 2009 11:56 AM
    "I was told that i had to uncheck the "Enable Tamper Protection" Box but I can't because  a Lock by the Administrator has been set."

In this case, the Administrator is the SAV admin, not the admin user of the box, and they likely locked down this option in their System Center.

You would want to use the following manual removal instructions.  The URL given by Prachand is for 10.1 clients.  10.2 is strictly the Vista / Server 2008 client.

Title: 'Manually uninstalling Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 client'
    Document ID: 2006111618085848
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2006111618085848

sandra

• 9.  RE: Trying to Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 but can't

Posted Mar 26, 2010 10:21 AM
    Thanks!