TouchDown

View Only
  • 1.  UI issues with Touchdown HD 9.0.00270

Posted Apr 08, 2016 05:01 AM
    The Touchdown HD update to version 9.0 is causing major UI issues on my phone.
    • Major lag in all UI reactions. Opening an email takes about 4 seconds, just like almost every other UI action.
    • Many times, when selecting the "email" subset, I have to tap twice to get a reaction.
    • The calendar widget is ridiculously small on an HD screen. The font site appears like 7 pixels high.
    • The Month calendar view has become unusable with tiny appointment boxes
    • The week or day calendar view have a 00:00 - 24:00 time slot display on the screen, and it is not zoomable to see details
    • The email application shows about half as many emails on a display screen as before
    • The email "initials" in a circle is a laugh. Completely useless to have one character in a circle. OK for 5-10 emails, disturbing for >100 emails.
    • The selection of "preferred email folders" is not visible anymore. I see always all folders in the selection list.
    • The application does not honour the "do not rotate screen" setting of Android.
    All in all, the update is an insult to people, who are actively working with the application. I strongly request either updated or downgrades of the application to make it properly usable again.

The phone is fairly new, so the performance cannot be a problem. (HTC One M8s)

The new software is abysmal.

• 2.  RE: UI issues with Touchdown HD 9.0.00270

Posted Apr 11, 2016 01:09 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback- I have not seen that behavior at all in testing. Can you email into touchdown-support@symantec.com so we can obtain some logs and screenshots and narrow these behaviors down, as some of the UI issues you are experiencing are not something we've seen.

• 3.  RE: UI issues with Touchdown HD 9.0.00270

Posted Apr 12, 2016 11:12 PM

I reported some of these issues in email, but as Peter encouraged me to post to the forum, I thought I'd do so as well.

• The email application shows about half as many emails on a display screen as before

For me, that's the showstopper. Here's 8.5.00094 vs. 9.0.00248:

email list.png

So the most obvious problem is that I can see 8 emails in TD8 and only 6 in Venus.

This is a consequence of hte inability to pinch/zoom this screen in Venus. I sometimes shrink this in TD8 down to 9 (and would like more!), but 6 is waaaay too few.

A less obvious problem is I only see 1 line of the email instead of 2. That's a big deal also.

(Though I would love to be able to pinch zoom and see 1 line of 18 messages instead of 2 lines of 9...).

An incredibly subtle but showstopper problem is the display of the read/unread flag. In both screenshots, the first message is read. In TD8, it's obvious from the grey background. In Venus, the subject line is roman instead of boldface,and the time is gray instead of blue. That's nowhere near good enough. It needs to be hugly obvious when scrolling through a lot of messages.

• Major lag in all UI reactions. Opening an email takes about 4 seconds, just like almost every other UI action.

I noticed a lag, but not a showstopper. Still super-annoying. I shot some video (30fps, so timing good to only about 15 milliseconds) of advancing to the Next Message over 3 trials. Results:

• 355 milliseconds after buttonpress to show the headers (and only the headers) of the next message.
    • 311 milliseconds after the headers to display the body.

That's way too slow, and it should not be taking 666 ms (spooky!) to advance to the next message. That should be *fast*, and if it's not, it should be pre-cached. I didn't shoot video and time TD8, but it's maybe twice as fast? Honesltly still too slow, but not over the painful 300ms threshold of user interface pain.

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: UI issues with Touchdown HD 9.0.00270

Posted Apr 13, 2016 03:34 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all this- it's been passed on to the UX team. Also, I think I asked already, but you're using a Samsung S5, correct? We're investigating the lag on various devices and we've seen some issues with Samsung devices as well as older devices, and are currently investigating. Thanks for all the feedback again, really appreciate the time and effort you're putting into this.

• 5.  RE: UI issues with Touchdown HD 9.0.00270

Posted Apr 13, 2016 11:42 PM

Yeah, I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5.

Incidently, I suppose I should offer the context that I really wish I could get the density out of touchdown that I can get out of mutt running over ssh. Like this:

Screenshot_2016-04-13-23-34-19.png

OK, so I am not entirely serious, but not entirely kidding. Sometimes I really wish I could get that kind of density. Something to strive for :)

• 6.  RE: UI issues with Touchdown HD 9.0.00270

Posted Apr 14, 2016 06:09 PM

Hi,

I can definitely appreciate that, but I think that might be a bit intense for many users. :)