Video Screencast Help

Unable to access SMSMSE 6.5 on Windows 2003 server

Created: 12 Dec 2012 | 1 comment
chris48's picture

I have installed SMSMSE 6.5 on an Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2003.  The server is in a customer's domain and there is a trust between their domain and ours.  The install seems to be successful as the administrator for the customer's domain can access it and open it up correctly, however I cannot get access and get an error stating:

You either have insufficient permissions to access this application or your user credentials are not refreshed.  Try logging off and logging in again to reload the user credentials.

I have verified that the SMSMSE Admins and SMSMSE Viewers groups have access to the relevant folders and registry keys specified in the following article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

I wanted to add an account from my domain into the SMSMSE Admins and Viewers groups in the customer's domain but have been unable to as the SMSMSE groups are both Global.  I then created a domain local group and added my account from the other domain to that, then assigned it full control permissions for the folders and registry keys mentioned above, but I still can't get access.  I have logged off and on again and also restarted the SMSMSE service.

Can I change the scope of the SMSMSE Admins and SMSMSE Viewers groups to domain local from global or will that cause further issues?

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

patriot3w's picture

Is it new installation? if yes, then i think you can try that, remove the two groups and create as domain local then add your account or global group inside.

domain local group is a security or distribution group that can contain universal groups, global groups, other domain local groups from its own domain, and accounts from any domain in the forest. You can give domain local security groups rights and permissions on resources that reside only in the same domain where the domain local group is located.

global group is a group that can be used in its own domain, in member servers and in workstations of the domain, and in trusting domains. In all those locations, you can give a global group rights and permissions and the global group can become a member of local groups. However, a global group can contain user accounts that are only from its own domain.

universal group is a security or distribution group that contains users, groups, and computers from any domain in its forest as members. You can give universal security groups rights and permissions on resources in any domain in the forest. Universal groups are not supported.