Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  unable to add drivers to PE template for E6500

Posted Jul 21, 2009 04:16 PM
    I have added drivers to the PE template before, but for some reason I can't add any for the Dell E6500.

When I add the driver I point it to the Dell driver folder I downloaded and extracted. It compiles the drivers, I check the box next to it and hit ok. when I go to the Ghost console, the driver is not present.
    If I go to the template folder, I don't see it.

I read where Cobra7 had problems with the Dell drivers so I grabbed new ones from intel and extracted them using /e /f to a folder.

I ran the GBW, pointed it to the Intel folder, and then checked the box when it was done. When I go to options in the console, still nothing.

My driver manifest shows them.

"Intel 82567 Dell E6500" = {
    class = network,
    drivers = ({
    path = "Intel 82567 Dell E6500\\e1y60x64.inf",
    os = ("X64_VISTA")
    } {
    path = "Intel 82567 Dell E6500\\e1q60x64.inf",
    os = ("X64_VISTA")
    } {
    path = "Intel 82567 Dell E6500\\e1k60x64.inf",
    os = ("X64_VISTA")
    } {
    path = "Intel 82567 Dell E6500\\e1g6032e.inf",
    os = ("X64_VISTA")
    } {
    path = "Intel 82567 Dell E6500\\e1e6032e.inf",
    os = ("X64_VISTA")
    }),
    internal = 0,
    selected = 0x1

Any suggestions?

On a side note, is there a way to remove the failed attempts at creating template drivers from the PE list?

• 2.  RE: unable to add drivers to PE template for E6500

Posted Jul 22, 2009 05:00 AM
    You need to check drivers.manifest.txt file in the imported driver folder. You'll find it under c:\doc&sett\all users\app data\symantec\ghost\template\common\widrivers\DRIVER FOLDER. This file will list all IDs that are found. Those must match IDs reported by the Console. Sometimes people think that driver is correct but it might be slightly so incorrect for a given card.

No, there is currently no way to remove failed driver. You would be able to do this in the next release. For now simply deselect it from the list or remove it manually - delete imported folder and carefully remove records from Winpe drivers.manifest.txt file. Database is not affected as each driver is fully self-contained in the imported folder.

• 3.  RE: unable to add drivers to PE template for E6500

Posted Jul 23, 2009 03:14 PM
    I checked the drivers.manifest in windrivers\driver folder....all the .inf files (5) are referenced in the driver manifest located C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common\winpe (I'm running 2k8 so the path is different).

What I don't get is why they don't show up under client options in the console.If I add the wrong driver, the console should at least add it to the list even though it might not be correct for the network card in question, correct?

• 4.  RE: unable to add drivers to PE template for E6500

Posted Jul 27, 2009 01:25 PM
    When you add the drivers, are you pointing at the "PRO1000\Win32" folder?

I wrote up a little blog after my problems. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/intel-825xx-drivers-and-instructions-extract-them

*ponders* I also noticed your useing 64 bit, try useing x86 (32 bit). Remember your useing Windows PE, which is 32 bit.