Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Unable to attach to \VIM_SQLEXP V-79-57344-33932

Created: 18 Jun 2013 • Updated: 20 Jun 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have a sql express instance on my vCenter server that symantec will not backup. It comes up with Unable to attach to \VIM_SQLEXP.

My first few troubleshooting steps have lead me to this point. When I go to backup properties, and I select test/edit credentials, all the accounts work except for SQL instance \VIM_SQLEXP. Error says test failed. The logon account symantec BUE is instructed has dbo rights on the SQL express server. As a test i have even used my domain admin account that also has dbo rights on the SQL server. None of the accounts work and the job continues to fail.

Any thoughts?

Symantec 2012

Server 2008 R2 SP2

SQL Server Express 2008

vCenter instance of SQL Express.

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

You might get this error if you don't have the SQL agent installed (Agent for Applications and Databases).

If you don't, you can get around this by creating a nightly backup of the database, and just backup the .bak file. Or get the license.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

briank8to's picture

Thanks for the quick reply CraigV. I double checked I do have application databases licenses installed and active.

VJware's picture

What sort of authentication is set on SQL ? Is is SQL or Windows or Mixed ?

Are named pipes & tcp/ip protocols enabled to allow remote connections to this instance ?

briank8to's picture

VJware,

thank you for your post. Your question got me thinking and I decided to do some digging. Named pipes and tcpip were all configured and enabled. The issue I was having was that for whatever reason SQL Express defaults to only a certain number of connections. Well the reason, I discovered later, is to lower the attack surface for SQL express by limiting connections. Increasing that allowed me to successfully connect to and backup the VIM database for my vCenter server.

Thanks for everyone's help.

briank8to

SOLUTION