Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

unable to connect to the service in Backup Exec 2012

Created: 23 Nov 2012 • Updated: 24 Jan 2013 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi all,

I have problems about the logon account in Backup Exec 2012.

My scenario:

One AD Domanin Controller "Test.com", one Backup Server "BKServer"

I create a AD account "operator" and add this to Backup Operator Group.

I also add Backup Operator to the Group Policy Management Console at the domain controller and  Local Security Policy on the Backup Server "BKServer"

·               Act as part of the operating system  

·               Backup files and directories

·               Create a token object

·               Log on as a batch job Log on as a service 

·               Manage auditing and security log (BE 2010 R3 and later)

·               Restore files and directories

·               Take ownership of files and other objects

In BackUp Exec 2012, i create a "Test\operator" logon account, for the system logon account is "Test\Administrator", both is common.

When i use AD "Administrator" system account, i can logon to both "Test\operator" and "Test\Administrator" in BE2012.

When i user AD "operator" system account i can only logon to "Test\Administrator" in BE2012, but not the "Test\operator" account. A message shows that "Unable to Connect to the Service"

Please help!!

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Your operator account is not a member of the Domain Admin group.  This is a requirement for the BELA.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36718

SOLUTION
Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

Please check in services for windows particularly if backup exec management services is up and running and also in event viewer if there are any error related to management service if any please post the snap

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

Felix_K's picture

RE:pkh

isn't that Backup Operator Group is ok for the BESA?

RE: Backup_Exec

i checked all service about BackUp Exec is started and running, but when i assign it to login as AD "Operator" account, i can't start the serices

BE2012_service.PNG
pkh's picture

isn't that Backup Operator Group is ok for the BESA?

No.  This is not sufficient.  See the documet quoted earlier.  An example of when you need domain admin rights is when you backup AD.  Without domain admin rights, you would not be able to backup AD.

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi

If all services are started then please log on to backup exec console with the account used for backup exec services. Ensure your system log on account and account used for backup exec services should be same

Once you do that you would be able to login

Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

Felix_K's picture

thx all, so there is no way to let the windows AD "Backup Operator Group" account to login to the backup exec account i created, right?

pkh's picture

You can login, but you can't do any backups/restores.

Felix_K's picture

thx pkh, but at this moment i even can't login to the backup exec account except i grant domain admin to the system account.