Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

"Unable to delete the Selection List" after migrating to Backup Exec 2012

Created: 10 May 2012 • Updated: 15 May 2012 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I'm having trouble with a particular server after upgrading to Backup Exec 2012. Other servers, none of which had this problem, were migrated from 2010 and 2010 R3. This one was migrated from 12.5 (on the same server.)

Due to a problem installing SQL 2005 Express during the upgrade, I had to use the manual BEMig method of migrating Backup Exec on all of our servers. This means stopping all services and backing up the Data and Catalog folders, uninstalling Backup Exec, and installing a fresh copy of 2012. Then I stop all services, copy the Data and Catalog folders back, start just the SQL service, set the registry keys to migrate the database, and run BEMig. Here is the article on this procedure:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50537

Attached to this discussion is the log from the BEMig tool. Nothing appears out of sorts to me.

My opinion on Backup Exec's job migration process from previous versions to 2012, is that it creates such a mess that I prefer to just delete and re-add the servers. This is understandable, since Backup Exec 2012 is so different from previous versions. I'm not interested in maintaining the selection lists and backup history as much as I am interested in maintaining catalogs. Therefore, the first thing I do after migrating to Backup Exec 2012 is that I delete and re-add all of the servers and set up fresh selection lists and schedules.

On this particular server, I can't seem to do that. Whether I try to delete the server, the individual jobs, or set the selection list up from scratch and tryo to delete the job, I get the error "Unable to delete the Selection List." The backups also refuse to run in this state. The agents were successfully upgrade to the latest version, after all updates to this point in time were installed via LiveUpdate.

I have tried all of the different database functions in the BEUtility program, starting with a consistency check, repair, rebuild, compact, and age, and I have also tried re-migrating the database. I did keep a copy of the unmigrated database.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas on what I can try? Thanks!

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Since you are not interested in retaining your old job settings, etc.  why don't you uninstall and re-install BE 2012.

Alternatively, use BEUtility to drop the BEDB and start from a new one.

SOLUTION
RFinger's picture

My concern is that I would like to retain both the catalogs and the ADAMM database for the media. I read in the article referenced below that if only the catalogs are moved, the ADAMM information for the media would be lost and would complicate the restore process.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68896

Just to see if it would work, I did drop the database back to base and left the catalogs. It looks like it solved the problem, but where is the ADAMM information? Did I lose it when I dropped the database?

RFinger's picture

After dropping the databse back to base, and retaining the catalogs, we tried to do a test restore, and received an error message. I believe the message was "Unable to retrieve the configuration information."

After running an inventory on the library, the restore would then function, and the system would ask for the correct tape, even if the tape was not present.

It's my understanding that the ADAMM information is gone, and that the library ADAMM information had to be rebuilt with the initial inventory. For future restores, it will be required to inventory the tapes required for the restore before the job will run, but that takes only a few minutes and the catalogs will remain online so that you can find the selections for restore.

To bypass all the hassle, as long as you don't care about job setups, selections, agent lists, and job history, you can indeed just install a fresh copy of Backup Exec and import the catalogs per this technote, previously referenced:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68896

Ken Putnam's picture

It's my understanding that the ADAMM information is gone, and that the library ADAMM information had to be rebuilt with the initial inventory. For future restores, it will be required to inventory the tapes required for the restore before the job will run, but that takes only a few minutes and the catalogs will remain online so that you can find the selections for restore.

That is correct 

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"