Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Posted Nov 20, 2012 03:06 PM
      |   view attached

We are importing the SEP 12.1 RU2 client package to SEPM 12.1 RU1 MP1. We are able to import successfully, but while exporting the Package from SEPM we are getting the below error. Please find the attached screen shot .

Preparing...

Working on Group My Company\Default Group...

Creating folder: C:\Documents and Settings\skanchar\My Documents\My Company_Default Group_Mac\Symantec Endpoint Protection version 12.1.2015.2015...

Retrieving the group Management Server List...

Retrieving the package data from the management server...

Failed to export to Group Default Group

Try to export to Group Default Group using Group ID 92C1BA6DAC1D1B1600AD106F8B57AE04

Creating folder: C:\Documents and Settings\skanchar\My Documents\92C1BA6DAC1D1B1600AD106F8B57AE04...

Except the new package we are able to export without any issues.

After importing the Package the  SEPM server has been re configured . as per the below article.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-121-error-failed-create-folder-which-publish-package.

• 2.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2012 10:51 PM

can you try running upgrade.bat and try exporting the package again?

• 3.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Posted Nov 22, 2012 11:05 PM

Please try this...

Try these Steps:

Run upgrade.bat to update schema to new version:

1- Stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager services;

click in start --> run --> type services.msc --> stop the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

2- Go to <local drive>\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin\upgrade.bat

Let all upgrade process finish and reopen console Manager. Generally the SEPM services starts after upgrade done.

OR

1) Remove all old packages from SEPM.

• Click in the Tab: Admin > Install Packages and select the old packages with right click and select the option delete;
    • After you remove all the old packages, log off from SEPM.

2) Click on Start > Run and type the following command ''services.msc'' to open the services management:

• Stop the service ''Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager''; (Keep it open)

3) Open the following direct <driver:>Program FilesSymantecSymantec Endpoint Protection ManagerBin and execute ''upgrade.bat'';

• Once you executed  ''upgrade.bat'' start the service ''Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager'' and log on again into SEPM.;

Now you should be able to export the new packages.

• 4.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 23, 2012 04:17 AM

Hello,

I would suggest you to migrate SEPM to the Latest SEP 12.1 RU2.

OR

• Repair the installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager from Cd1\SEPM Folder.
    • Run Management Server Configuration from C:\Program Files\Symantec\ Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Bin\upgrade.bat
    • Use Migration and Deployment Wizard and it will create package now
    • From Admin > Install Packages> Client Install Packages also try to export the package

Hope that helps!!

• 5.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Posted Nov 28, 2012 05:34 PM

Hello,

SEPM 12.1.X managing SEP 12.1 RU2 client is a supported scenario so migration of the SEPM to 12.1 RU2 can be done but at least, it wouldn't explain why it's not working at this time with a SEPM in RU1 MP1 version when it's supposed to.

Can you enable the FINEST debug log level on your SEPM temporary in order to upload after the scm-server-0.log once the issue is reproduced.

To activate the FINEST debug level, you should go to your SEPM installation path. It will be on the tomcat folder then "etc" folder.

Inside your "etc" folder, you will have a file called "conf.properties". Edit it with Notepad and change the value of the line called scm.log.loglevel=WARNING (or sometimes =INFO) to scm.log.loglevel=FINEST (do not put quotes of course).

Save the modification when closing the conf.properties file, reproduce the issue and upload the scm-server-0.log over the in order we could have a look. scm-server-0.log is inside the folder logs which is a subfolder of tomcat folder.

Once it's done you could put back the debug levl on your SEPM back to default value scm.log.loglevel=WARNING or INFO

At the same occasion, It might sound as stupid questions but what SEP 12.1 RU2 package did you import on the SEPM Console ? Was it the MAC package by default present on File Connect site ? Did you try to export this package by selecting another group than Default_Group_MAC before to execute the export ?

Kind Regards,

A. Wesker

• 6.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Posted Dec 06, 2012 12:29 PM

Not to bring up a dead topic, but I am having the same issue deploying the new 12.x clients to my endpoints.

The only other related thread I could find was from 2011. I followed the 2nd method (practically identical to THIS POST) and it did not give me success.

A bit of context: I have just updated my SEPM 11.0 to 12.1 RU1. This was done successfully yesterday. I also have 12.1 RU1 MP1 downloaded and ready to go, but I want to make sure things are working in THIS version before I update again. Ultimately I may need to just keep updating to the latest version or I won't get any support, but I'd like to take things one step at a time. I'm sure 12.1 RU1 was designed to work, after all.

It really seems like we shouldn't have to be stopping services, manually deleting install packages, and running upgrade.bat in order to get the install packages to be created or deployed. Shouldn't that just work?

Am I asking too much as a customer for my software to simply work when I use it? My only other recourse right now is to keep installing the old 11.x client packages, but that's really not a solution.

Any help would be appreciated, even if the answer is ultimately "update to the latest SEPM."

• 7.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Posted Dec 08, 2012 11:40 PM

Mithun the above solution didn't worked for me.

• 8.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Posted Dec 08, 2012 11:46 PM

Mac clients

SEP 12.1 RU2 Mac clients can be managed by any SEPM of version 12.1 or higher. The following constraints apply:

• No version of SEPM before 12.1 RU2 can import or export 12.1 RU2 Mac install packages.
      This is due to the changes made in the SEP 12.1 RU2 Mac client package structure. To work around this limitation, do one of the following:

• Install an un-managed SEP 12.1 RU2 Mac client and then use Sylink drop tool http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131585 to make it a managed client.

• Upgrade an existing managed client by installing the unmanaged package from the DVD. Upgrading a managed client with the unmanaged package results in a managed client.
        Note: This workaround does not apply in the case of Mac OS X 10.8, as older clients are not supported on the operating system, and you cannot upgrade the operating system with SEP installed.

• SEPM reports that have operating system-related information do not show operating system details for Mac OS X 10.8. The OS column may show "Unknown Operating System" for Mac OS X 10.8 clients.

• The OS filters in SEPM do not work correctly for Mac OS X 10.8. In some locations, such as on the Clients tab, searching for Mac clients does not show Mac OS X 10.8 machines. These clients may appear as Windows clients in the search instead.

Article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH200234

• 9.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Posted Dec 09, 2012 04:09 AM

HI

The error below , shows that the package as MAC package .  Please select the windows package try again..

Preparing...

Working on Group My Company\Default Group...

Creating folder: C:\Documents and Settings\skanchar\My Documents\My Company_Default Group_Mac\Symantec Endpoint Protection version 12.1.2015.2015...

Failed to export to Group Default Group

Try to export to Group Default Group using Group ID 92C1BA6DAC1D1B1600AD106F8B57AE04

Creating folder: C:\Documents and Settings\skanchar\My Documents\92C1BA6DAC1D1B1600AD106F8B57AE04...

• 10.  RE: Unable to export the new client package 12, RU2 from 12.1 RU1 MP1 version

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 10, 2012 12:07 AM

windows package can be exported , however MAC cannot be exported.