Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.

Posted Oct 05, 2011 12:53 PM
      |   view attached

Unable to install patch.

WindowsSearch-KB940157-XP-x86-enu.exe

i have created two jobs qick delivery and software delivery. Both fail to install this software.

it was added by the sofware section, import sofware, then ran though the wizard.

The desk eventually failed with this error but it never copied the files to install.

The task was killed because it took longer than the allowed time. To change the time go to the task's advanced properties.

I was wondering if it did this by design or is it something that im doing wrong.

• 2.  RE: Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.

Posted Oct 05, 2011 01:23 PM

Are you using any command-line switches to automate the installation?  It looks like you are just launching the exe.  You may need to provide a /silent switch, by the looks of your screenshot. 

• 3.  RE: Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.

Posted Oct 05, 2011 01:47 PM

hi im not using any commands, just what the import software picked up which is the name in commas.

is this how the end command would look.

with exe selected and install as the next option, after that the below command:

"WindowsSearch-KB940157-XP-x86-enu.exe" /silent

ty

• 4.  RE: Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.

Posted Oct 05, 2011 03:59 PM

Yes, that is the correct idea.  You may need to manually test out the patch to make sure the command line is correct.  For microsoft patches I usually end up with "windowspatchname.exe" /silent /norestart.  But to verify the accuracy of the command you can run it from a command line manually with a /? (like windowspatchname.exe /?) and it should pop up a list of the silent install options for you to use as a reference.

• 5.  RE: Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.

Posted Oct 05, 2011 04:37 PM
      |   view attached

I tried it today with the /passive command and also with out any commands and it didnt even copy over to the client.

at a command prompt when i do /? i get the attached picture.

Maybe u could try with this patch to and see if u get the same result as me.

it could possible be a strange one that doesnt work with DS 7.1

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23

• 6.  RE: Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 05, 2011 05:25 PM

And use the Remote Altiris Agent Diagnostics (RAAD) tool to see what's going on on the client. Download and execute are two separate phases so make sure first that it's gettting downloaded or why not.

• 7.  RE: Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.

Posted Oct 06, 2011 09:08 AM

In the task, click Advanced.., then select the Run Options tab, then select 'Current logged-on user,' then ensure you're running in /passive and not /quiet or /silent in your first run through.  You want the progress bar because this will also allow error messages or prompts to be exposed to the logged on user.  If we were doing an .msi, we'd say that you want to do /qb instead of /qn the first pass through.

Although patches are usually predictable, I usually install the software once manually, taking note of what I can select through the interface.  These are the things I'll need to specify using /switches.  Then I attempt to use those switches properly, referring to sites like AppDeploy.com and product documentation, while combining it with a /passive or /qb switch and executing it manually.  Finally, if that goes well, you'll make it /quiet, /silent, /qn, etc, and run it a last time manually.  With that succeeding, you pull it into Altiris and deliver it using Altiris.  (Sometimes when I pull it into Altiris I will revert to /qb or /passive as a first-time Altiris test.)

• 8.  RE: Unable to install kb940157-xp-x86 via quick delivery/software delivery.

Posted Oct 06, 2011 09:46 AM
      |   view attached

firstly thank u all for your replies. I fixed it by removing the quotes. and i have attached a screen shot to display the resolution.