Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to install SEP on Windows Server 2003 for SBS

Posted Mar 30, 2009 04:16 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello,
    I have a small network with a Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server, SP2, 4GB RAM. The clients are all Windows XP Professional, SP3.
    I installed the SEPM on the server without any problem and the installation of SEP to the XP clients (with the Migration and Deployment Wizard) also went without any problems.
    My problem is now:
    I can't get the SEP installed on the server. When I try through the M&D Wizard everything seems to go OK until it suddenly stops and nothing happens, the installation progress dialogue just disappears and when I check the server nothing is installed.
    Can somebody please help me.

Here is the log file SEP_INST.LOG

Attachment(s)

txt
    SEP_INST.txt   1.58 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Unable to install SEP on Windows Server 2003 for SBS

Posted Mar 30, 2009 04:24 AM
    ...that I used to have Symantec Antivirus 10.x on these machines but that version was unistalled (Add/Remove Programs) plus using the guide for how to uninstall manually

• 3.  RE: Unable to install SEP on Windows Server 2003 for SBS

Posted Apr 30, 2009 05:39 PM
    Hi Self,

I didn't see any replies to your issue and since your issue  is a few weeks old, you might have resolved it already. Anyways, if not, Symantec has a new support tool that might help you isolate the issue. You can find the support tool at the URL below. The explanation is self-explanatory below:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008071709480648

The Symantec Endpoint Protection Support Tool
    Question/Issue:
    The Symantec Endpoint Protection Support Tool is a utility designed to quickly and efficiently diagnose common issues encountered with Endpoint Protection and the Endpoint Protection Manager. With this release, the utility is limited to diagnosing problems on the local computer (that is, the computer that is running the utility). If a problem is identified, the tool will direct you to a solution, or the information can be provided to Tech Support, who can guide you through the next steps.

Symantec Technical Support

• 4.  RE: Unable to install SEP on Windows Server 2003 for SBS

Posted Apr 30, 2009 05:55 PM

Very simple log.

You have to uninstall the AMS that you have on the server. It would probably refuse to uinstall as you have taken the SSC out. Use KB 290301 to take it off and install again.