Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Unable to open item C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\FP00149.SHD

Created: 09 Apr 2007 • Updated: 22 May 2010 | 2 comments

I'm currently running Symantec Backup Exec 10d on Windows Server 2003 with a Dell PowerVault 114T tape drive.  Normally, the backup runs successfully every day.  However, the last backup completed with the following exception:

Unable to open the item C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS\FP00149.SHD.

I'm just wondering a) is this serious, b) what is causing this, and c) what can we do to prevent it?

I apologize in advance if this has already been dealt with on this forum, but I couldn't find anything in the search feature of Symantec's Web site.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Travis Hankins's picture
Hi there. The .SHD is a Corel file extension if I am correct.  Upon looking it up it appears to be a Print Spooler Shadow File which is basically a "shadow" file that contains all the information the spooler needs to resubmit a print job in the event that your computer restarts before the print job is finished.   I would assume that it was created when somone tried to print something and either the job didn't finish or become coruptted and therefore sitting on your computer.  I would assume that it isn't important at all, and probably shutting down the printer spooler and restarting it would fix any problems.  Maybe even a reboot of the machine that the file is on. 

Hope that helps

Travis

Message Edited by Travis Hankins on 04-09-200703:01 PM

ClarinoGuy's picture

Hi Travis.

I discussed the situation earlier with our IT Manager and we decided that we're simply going to ignore it for now.  If it continues to happen, then we'll take some sort of action.  Neither of us had ever seen that exception before, so we kind of scrambled to find out what it was.  Like I say, the backup completed successfully with that one exception.

Have an awesome day!