Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

unable to restore backup to SSD using BESR 2010

Created: 29 May 2013 | 4 comments
brian_brotschi's picture

Hello All;

here is my situation. I have 2.5" SATA spinning disk (Seagate 320 GB ST9320423AS) which I would like to backup and then restore to a 2.5" SATA SSD disk (Intel 120GB SSDSC2CW120A3), basically performing a disk copy (the entire disk, all partitions).  I am backing up the Seagate drive to an external USB disk, and the creation of SymSOE_C_Drive.v2i appears to be created (12.8GB) without an error messages.

my source drive (the Seagate) is NTFS 3.1 formatted. I choose "Standard" compression, and select the "verify recovery point after creation" option. No other options are selected (e.g. Max file size = none, Disable Smart Sector copying = none, Ignore bad sector during copying = none, Use password = none, Encryption = none). 

The error message which I receive, when attempting to "restore" the backup to the SSD disk drive is the following.

Error EA3905FA: Zero reference count

I have tried to enable / disable various "restore" setting none of which have had a positive impact on the restore action.

Any help or alternative approaches would be appreciated.

brianb

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Markus Koestler's picture

Which SP of BESR 2010 are you running on ?

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

Mahesh.Nayak's picture

would recommend you to unplug the USB drive with Backup images and  attempt recommendations on http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56856 , then try a restore 

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

Markus Koestler's picture

Have you had any success ?

brian_brotschi's picture

Mahesh;

thanks for the guidance. Unfortunately, I will not be able to try this approach, due to the being physically remote from the equipment. I will resume my attempts in early Aug.

kindest regards

brianb

Brian M Brotschi, CISSP
Director - Global Consulting Services Enablement
Symantec Services Group