Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to restore image - C0000005 error appears or returns to x:\ prompt

• 1.  Unable to restore image - C0000005 error appears or returns to x:\ prompt

Posted Jun 16, 2010 02:25 PM
    Dear Symantec Support,

I have Ghost Console version 11.5.2266. I have attempted to restore a ghost image via the Network and via the Bootable CD with the ghost image on the same DVD.  When attempting to restore, the DOS window appears to the X: drive following by a couple other DOS commands such as X:\ghost\startlog.txt start ghost32.exe. Then, a stream of Hex characters fills the screen following by a Error window concerning Error C000005. It also references several DLLs such as user32.dll, or ntdd.dll. In another instance, i would get a stream of HEX characters displayed, following by it returning to the DOS prompt. I have utilized Deploy Anywhere and Clone checkboxes, and other assortments to try to get it to work.

I have followed the Symantec steps in "How to run Deploy Anywhere from the Ghost Boot CD", and "How to create a bootable CD/DVD that includes an existing image on the same CD/DVD". I am installing a ghost image and its *.ghs file companion. The ghost images installs a Window Server 2003 OS.

Regards,

Jess

• 2.  RE: Unable to restore image - C0000005 error appears or returns to x:\ prompt

Posted Jun 17, 2010 09:59 AM
    This is not Symantec Support - you would need to log a call to speak with them, as these forums are predominately for users to help other users.
    Does your hardware contain any SATA devices, such as the hard disk?
    If so, you are not going to be able to access the disk using DOS, as there are no DOS drivers for SATA devices that I am aware of.
    Imaging modern hardware really requires you to use WinPE as your boot environment, as this has native support for some SATA devices and can load Vista drivers for newer SATA chipsets.

As a check, if your hardware does have a SATA hard disk, check the bios and see if the hard disk can have AHCI switched off, and IDE Compatibility mode switched on. With IDE compatibility mode enabled, you may be able to get somewhat further in restoring an image.