Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Unable to restore mail items from exchange 2010 backup

Created: 05 Nov 2012 | 9 comments

Backup exec 2012 on stand alone server with outlook 2007 and exchange management tools installed on server.

casarray with 2 cas/hub servers and a dag with 2 mailbox servers all virtualized. 

The Information store is being backed up using a dag backup 'exchdag' backing up the entire exchange information store. 

The exchange server backups backup the servers minus the information store. 

Backups and restores worked fine under exchange 2007 2 months ago Since then we have upgraded to Exchange 2010 on server 2008r2 but something with the exchange 2010 setup backup exec doesn't like. The backups go through fine and the data is there but when ever I try to restore to the same location, redirecting to one of the cas servers, or redirecting to a pst it fails

Restore- \\exchdag\Microsoft Information Store\MBX01 MDSTVVCAS02V-79-57344-65280 - Unable to restore the selected Microsoft Exchange databases because one or more of the storage group's databases are mounted.  Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount all the databases for the storage group 'MBX01', and then retry the job.

V-79-57344-65217 - An error occurred while completing the operation on \\exchdag\Microsoft Information Store\MBX01

A failure occurred performing the post-restore operation.

V-79-57344-65280 - Unable to restore the selected Microsoft Exchange databases because one or more of the storage group's databases are mounted.  Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount all the databases for the storage group 'MBX01', and then retry the job.

V-79-57344-65217 - An error occurred while completing the operation on \\exchdag\Microsoft Information Store\MBX01

V-79-57344-65280 - Unable to restore the selected Microsoft Exchange databases because one or more of the storage group's databases are mounted.  Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount all the databases for the storage group 'MBX01', and then retry the job.

When I try to recover it to a pst it tried to send it to \\localhost\Microsoft Information Store instead of the C:\psts directory i had set up for it. 
I've tried unmounting the databases and this did not do anything.

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Go through the forum query below and see if any of it is relevant to your issue:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-r2-exchange-2010-single-mailboxfile-restore-problem-grt#comment-6298161

THanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

dfeifer's picture

This was working under exchange 2007 on the same hardware so the only thing that has changed is the exchange setup. On that end I had added the beservice account to the Exchange Organization Administrators account.

Currently the beservice account is a member of Administrators, Backup Operators, Domain Admins, Domain Controllers, Exchange Domain Servers, Exchange Organization Administrators, Exchange Servers, Exchange Services, Exchange View-Only Administrators, and Organization Management. 

I had not tried redirecting to a pst, but the beservice account has had an email address forever. I installed outlook 2007 on the server and updated it, sent mail from and to it, but the job would still fail out acting like it was trying to write to an exchange database.

I went through the above link and forwarding links that page as well and did not find anything that helped. I generally search through everthing i can before I post.

CraigV's picture

If you have support, then I'd recommend opening a support query with Symantec, and posting back (and closing the query!) if they assist you.

I have also hit the support flag, so hopefully someone from Symantec picks up on this.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

lmosla's picture

Please let me know if you have all the Live Updates including SP1a and the most recent hotfixes installed.

thanks

dfeifer's picture

Under installed updates I see 

hotfix 180964

hotfix 189571

hotfix 194470

service pack 1

Running live update comes back with no available updates.

lmosla's picture

Thanks for letting me know about the updates. 

Do you have the Remote Agent for Windows Systems installed on all the servers in the DAG and on all the Client Access Servers?   Look through this document and make sure you meet all the Exchange 2010 requirements   http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO24128

dfeifer's picture

Remote agent is installed on all cas and mailbox servers as well as the hyper-v host's, and the dag backup is done via the microsoft exchange database availability group server type in backup exec. The cas and mailbox servers are backed up for disaster recovery minus the microsoft information store on the cas servers since it is backed up using the dag option.

Don't know if this would be an issue or not, but most of our servers are server r2 datacenter to include exchange but the media server is 2008 sp2.

lmosla's picture

It should be ok using the R2 Datacenter servers as long as they are 2008 and 64 bit servers.  Are you backing up to disc or tape?

Are you using any kind of load balancing? If you are take a look to see if this provides a solution  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH144195

If the above link doesnt help go ahead and go through the steps listed here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124453 to enable debugging and attach the debug logs.

Thanks