Video Screencast Help

Unable to restore mailbox items from Exchange 2010 SP3 with BE 2012

Created: 02 Jul 2013 • Updated: 07 Aug 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We are a small business who have recently upgraded a couple of our key servers to new hardware/software. The main one being Exchange 2010 (SP3) and in order to cope with backing up Exchange 2010, I was told our old Backup Exec 11d would need to be upgraded to Backup Exec 2012. Therefore we purchased a new 64bit file/backup server and installed BE 2012 and setup a new nightly backup schedule (to tape) to suit our needs.

After getting the daily backup schedule working so that we backup all our shared files, SQL and Exchange data to a single LT03 tape (about 400GB worth), I tried to test the restore process. We can restore files from the file share and SQL databases, however I get the following error trying to restore mail items from a user's mailbox:

Job ended: Wednesday, 3 July 2013 at 1:30:21 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0001204 - The path on the Backup Exec server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items must be on a local NTFS volume on the Backup Exec server. Check the job log for details. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-4612

After a bit of searching online and trying a couple of suggestions, I still had no luck restoring. So I contacted Symantec support and received a call back. We checked the GRT backup/restore path under 'Settings' and it is set to C:\Temp on the BE server, which is NTFS and has plenty of free space. The support technician promptly checked the version of Exchange on the other server and I was a little shocked to be told Exchange 2010 SP3 was not supported by BE 2012 and there was nothing he could do! sad Apparently this is being fixed in the upcoming BE 2012 SP2 release, but not sure how far away that is...

What are my options here if I need to restore an item from our Exchange 2010 server using BE 2012? Am I completely stuck until the new release?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

BE 2012 SP2 is supposed to be release by the end of this month.

SOLUTION
Colin Weaver's picture

You can still register for the Beta program of 2012 SP2 by going to http://symbeta.symantec.com

SOLUTION