Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Unable to turn on SDR in Backup exec 2012

Created: 20 Sep 2013 | 3 comments

Hello,

I have installed Symantec Backup exec 2012 software on Windows 2008 and  on Windows 2003 server.

Now every feature is working well except SDR ( Simplified disaster recovery ).

In my case if I select all drives (C , D, E) in my server to get backed up SDR gets TRUN ON if I deselect/exclude single file from D drive which is not important to get backed up the SDR gets TRUN OFF.

This is happening with my 4 servers which play an role as file server and database server. 

Please provide me solutions if you have faced this kind of problem.

Regards,

KrunalK

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

Backup Exec would automaticlly decide the data required for SDR to be enabled. However, if you feel that there is something that can be excluded you need to do it from the registry as normal, GUI based exclusion from the job would not work. Here is a link to a blog that can help.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exclude-files-simplified-disaster-recovery-sdr-backup-backup-exec-2012?page=0#comment-9226301

Colin Weaver's picture

Do you have any applications that have services where the service is installed on D: as if a service is dependent on D: then D: may be classified as important for the recovery

Biker_Dude's picture

The SDR (Simplified Disaster Recovery) feature should be used to recover the server and not the server + data. Although nothing will stop you from doing the latter.

To enable SDR two critical items need to be selected to enable the SDR green light: Boot Drive and System State

I suspect D:\ is the boot drive on your server and SDR would deem that as a critical drive. It is by design that deselecting ANYTHING on the boot drive will disable SDR. If at all possible, move all non-essential files & folders from the boot drive to a non-critical drive and have them picked up by a "data" backup instead.

Attached is a Flash video of me deselecting items from my C:\ boot drive to show how SDR is enabled\disabled.  I also show how selecting\deselecting from a non-critical drive doesn't affect SDR from being disabled. Drop the .swf file in to any browser that supports Flash video to view it.

How this was helpful.

AttachmentSize
SDR.swf 704.69 KB