Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted May 30, 2012 09:46 AM

Hello,

Today I installed PGP Desktop on Mac OSX with Lion 10.7.4 and I was unable to do the following:

1.  Work with PGP Virtual Disks created on Mac.  The disk is mounted but is not visible in Finder.

2.  Work with USB flash drives or external drives encrypted with PGP WDE for Windows.  The drive is either not visible on Mac OS or when it's visible the password is not accepted, the pop up windows comes up saying the password is incorrect.  The drive(s) is/are NTFS formatted.

The first problem as I understand it is due to incompartibility of the lalest Lion update with PGP and is pending the resolution. What about the second problem?  For years I have used PGP in Windows environment and never had  any problem with reading/writing on PGP protected external disk or flash drive.  Are PGP WDE ecnrypted external drives cross-compartible between Windows and Mac OSX?

Thank you in advance for help and assistance.

Regards,

• 2.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2012 12:41 PM

The virtual disk issue was caused by a block level driver change made by Mac. You should be able to read a NTFS whole disk encrypted drive on Mac PGP Desktop. I believe this may be a conflict with that version of OS and PGP Desktop. I will test this on one of test systems and see if there is an issue with reading a Windows WDE created external drive on Mac OSX 10.7.4 and PGP Desktop version 10.2.1. I will post my results.

• 3.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted May 30, 2012 01:46 PM

Have you imported windows keys to MAC?
    In mac enviroment, when you enter passphrase to unlock disk, do you see the user? does it match wde user when autenticating in windows?

• 4.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted May 31, 2012 02:08 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

1.  I use master key for encryption created in 2006 with PGP 9.*  I didn't have any problems with the key or PGP WDE in Windows environment using external drives/flash drives encrypted with PGP WDE among various PCs with PGP installed.  PGP used for disk encryption was 10.*; not the latest one 10.2.1

2.  I am new to MAC. I have the new Macbook Pro and yesterday I have installed PGP Desktop 10.2.1 (I think it's the latest version) from the Symantec website.  The MAC OSX is Lion 10.7.4 with FileVault disabled.  I have imported the master key from Windows; it's the only key on the key chain.

3.  When I insert USB drive into Mac I get the pop up window with the message "Please enter your PGP Whole Disk passphrase", there is no user name.  After I enter the passphrase for the key I get the message "Caution. This is not the correct passphrase".  And the disk stays locked.  When I insert the same drive into PC with Windows 7 and PGP I am asked to enter the passphrase I do it and then the disk is unlocked.  There are multiple keys on the key chain in Windows computer but it finds the right one for the disk and the passphrase is matched.

Any ideas on what's causing it and how to work it out?

Regards

• 5.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted May 31, 2012 10:01 AM

There are multiple keys on the key chain in Windows computer but it finds the right one for the disk and the passphrase is matched.

So, what key is this? You can probably see it when authenticating disk in windows.

You need to import this key to mac.

Other thoughts:

In mac:

cd /usr/local/bin

pgpwde --list-users --disk 1

You can see a list of users.

pgpwde --auth --disk 1 -p PASSWORD

You can try authenticating this way.

• 6.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted May 31, 2012 10:29 AM

The problem is that after importing it into MAC, the key properties are changed, eg the cipher is set to CAST, hash method is set to none, as well as the compression.  When I try to change it I can't do it as I type the key password it says it's incorrect.  I can't encrypt PGP disk to this key in Mac either.  It's the main key that I have used since 2006.  As I haven't used PG on Mac before please tell me whether PGP on Mac can work with the keys generated on PGP 9.*

Other than that I don't know the problem is.  I will try your second solution and let you know if it works.

• 7.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted Jun 03, 2012 05:08 AM

I am still unable to use PGP WDE with Lion 10.7.4.

1. I have re-installed PGP Desktop and generated the new key

2. I am able to encrypt files and folders via PGP Zip to it.

3. I am unable to encrypt USB flash drives (the clean ones!) using PGP WDE. After providing the key password the encryption starts and then it asks for PGP Whole Disk passphrase. The flash drive has not been previously encrypted with PGP WDE and I haven't used PGP WDE on this MAC before! When I provide the key passphrase it says it's the wrong passphrase and I am unable to proceed. Running pdpwde commands from the terminal show there is one key, the new one that I generated on that particular flashdrive. If necessary I can send the output.

It's the new MacBook Pro with no Filevault enabled.

I think it's the same problem reported earlier here at the forums. PGP WDE 10.2.1 doesn't work with Lion 10.7.4.

I kindly ask PGP technical support assist with this case.

Thank you

• 8.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted Jun 04, 2012 11:47 AM

Please send evidence so we can troubleshoot.

Anyway, if you can create a support case, i will be much easier and faster.

Regards

• 9.  RE: Unable to use PGP Disk on MAC OSX Lion 10.7.4 with external drives

Posted Jun 25, 2012 11:43 AM

I have the same problem and can't believe it is taking sooooo long to fix from Symantec.

I have an encrypted virtual disk and since I upgraded to 10.7.4 I have not been able to mount it in the finder.

Someone posted a way to acces the data through a shortcut.

But that is not the point.

I expect a proper fix from Symantec.

Its been almot two months...