Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

Posted Apr 29, 2009 07:20 AM
    Hi everybody!

I use SEP 11 MR4MP1A in a corporate environment, 28 Sites with W2k3 R2. All servers are clean MR4MP1A install none is updated from earlier versions.
    I have some serious issues with my shared policies. Every time I want to edit any of these (no matter on witch site I try) I get an Unecpected Console Error 0x80010000 message. The interestint thing is: If I edit a Non shared policy it just works fine. The event logs of the servers have no events indicating any problems.

The SEP system log tells me the following:

2009-04-29 07:48:47 StandardWrapperValve[default]: Servlet.service() for servlet default threw exception
    ClientAbortException: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
    at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:371)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:432)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.append(ByteChunk.java:347)
    at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.writeBytes(OutputBuffer.java:399)
    at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.write(OutputBuffer.java:386)
    at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteOutputStream.write(CoyoteOutputStream.java:65)
    at org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet.copyRange(DefaultServlet.java:1993)
    at org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet.copy(DefaultServlet.java:1717)
    at org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet.serveResource(DefaultServlet.java:1044)
    at org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet.doGet(DefaultServlet.java:476)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:697)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:199)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:145)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:210)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:955)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:139)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.CertificatesValve.invoke(CertificatesValve.java:198)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:594)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2460)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:133)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:119)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:594)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:127)
    at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:157)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:874)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Any suggestions?

Best regards.

DoubleE

• 2.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

• 3.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

Posted Apr 29, 2009 07:42 AM
    Yeah, I've tried, with no succes... :(

I also couldn't find any way to solve this, although I've read everything Google threw up....

But thanks for your quick reply! :)

• 4.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

Posted Apr 29, 2009 01:16 PM
    I know of other customers having this error when trying to edit policies in MR4 MP1a. Development is working to address the issue in the next release (11 MR4 MP2). Expect that build to be released in the next month.

Thomas

• 5.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

Posted Apr 30, 2009 07:19 AM
    But the documents availble on knowledgbase really helped me resolving oe of my custome's issue.M4MP2 is ok , but can anyone tell me when MP2 is releasing??? and whhat r other features????

• 6.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

Posted May 22, 2009 06:04 PM
    I just got off the phone with support and they indicated that this appears to be a timing issue. Because of the number of groups and policies you have(I have 150 locations globally, each with a separate group and LU policy), when you query the database to enumerate the "Location Use Count", it times out producing that error message. Per support, try the following on the SEPM you are trying to connect to (if there is more than 1 SEPM, you will need to perform the steps on each one):

1. Click "Start-->Run" and enter services.msc. Press Enter.
    2. Disable the "Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager" service.
    3. Click "Start-->Run" and type "%temp%". Press Enter.
         a. Identify a file called "sesm.xml" (it is hidden, so make sure you can view hidden files).
         b. Change the value for "login locationCounting" from "True" to "False".
    4. Start the "Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager" service.

This procedure prevents the console from identifying all the locations where the policy is applied. This issue may be resolved in MR4 MP2, but I have yet to get confirmation on that.

Chris Tyrrell
    Creative Breakthroughs, Inc.

• 7.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 11, 2009 09:38 AM
    The issue was solved with the help of Symantec Custumer Support. The exact cause is not yet clear, but it had to do with the replication. I deleted all replication partners, and the error messages disapeared. Efter that we updated to MP2, and everíthing seems to be fine so far.

So, thanks everybody and keep up!

Best Regards

• 8.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

Posted Feb 08, 2010 04:31 AM
    I have done the solution but still error occured. As per Symantec Engineer, the problem is something a database problem. She recommended to reinstall the SEPM but this procedure is very tedious since as per her, we need to resylink all clients. We have approximately 5-7,000 clients. Any help?

• 9.  RE: Unexpected Console Error 0x80010000 when editing shared policies

Posted Feb 08, 2010 04:36 AM
    Pls create a new thread for this..