Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

• 1.  Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 04, 2013 10:14 PM

I have read every single article here concerning how to stop SEP (ADC) from blocking autorun.inf. I plug in my iPod via USB, it connects very briefly and then disconnects stating the error message. I have disable ADC. I have created app & file exceptions. I have disabled SEP firewall, and SEP completely and it still will not let my connect my iPod so I can sync my new music. This is extremely frustrating and I honestly don't have the time to mess with this. Next step is uninstalling SEP completely. Any other suggestions?? Thanks so much in advance!

• 2.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 04, 2013 10:41 PM

can you install only SEP AV/AS component and tell us if it fixes the issue? what is the message you receive? is it relate dto SEP?

• 3.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 04, 2013 11:02 PM

I don't want to run part of SEP, I love(d) the overall product and have been a loyal user for almost 10 years now. If uninstalling the Network Protection component didn't fix it, then I highly doubt installing everything except that will work either. The error message reads: Application and device control rule Autorun.inf_Read File has blocked explorer.exe trying to access autorun.inf.  Autorun has been blocked.  Check the Control log for more details.

I do believe that pertains to SEP, but I'm no guru. I'm currently downloading the SEPM but it is godawful slow and I find it a bit unnecessary to have a client manager for one system.

• 4.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 04, 2013 11:42 PM

Hello,

Please go into SEP  Client interface.

Go into Status section.

Click on "Change Settings".

In the Change Settings section click on the Client management --> "Configure Settings" button.  In Client Management Settings screen remove the Uncheckmark for "Enable Application and Device Control".

Check this thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/allow-autoruninf-unmanaged-endpoint-protection-121-client

Unmanaged SEP 12.1 Client preventing copying autorun.inf files

Article:TECH181428  |  Created: 2012-02-14  |  Updated: 2012-07-28  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181428

• 5.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:00 AM

I have already tried this. Did not work.

• 6.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:22 AM

hello,

did you restart sep client after change settings

UnManaged Client then, Simply Disable the Network Threat Protection Policy by: 

SEP client >  Change Settings > Network Threat Protection, configure Settings > uncheck Enable Firewall.

Restart is necessary.

OR

Uninstall the Network Threat Protection and Application & Device Control Feature from SEP client from the Add/Remove Programs.

Restart is necessary.

Check this thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/all...

• 7.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:26 AM

Hello,

When you stop the smc service will it be work?

• 8.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:38 AM

Yes I did.

• 9.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:38 AM

No it does not.

• 10.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:49 AM

If it can't be work after stop the service then may be the issue is different.

Is it reflecting disable in Device Manager?

When you trying to eanble from device manager what the status come?

• 11.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:51 AM

When I uncheck the box the check mark disappears. I then hit close. When I go back to ADC, the box is still unchecked.

• 12.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 12:51 AM

hello,

For testing purpose you can uninstall sep client and check it's working or not ?

Might be your Itune application may be corrupt.

• 13.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 05:33 AM

Withdraw all the ADC policy from the group.

Do a repair of SEP client from add/ remove programs.

From device management enable the USB.

• 14.  RE: Unmanaged SEP 12.1 autorun.inf Nightmare!

Posted Jun 05, 2013 07:07 AM

Did you get this unmanaged package from where you work? Was it pre-configured?