Video Screencast Help

Updates to package Command Lines not being used on clients

Created: 05 Sep 2013 • Updated: 07 Oct 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I have found an issue that I haven't been able to resolve without removing the entire Altiris agent and reinstalling it. In 7.1 when I am testing a package on a computer I may make changes to the command line of the package in order to tweak it or get it the way I need it. The problem occurs after editing the command line and then running the package again for a second time on the same client. The client seems to cache the original command line somewhere. When checking the logs I can see that the package ran using the original command line and did not have any edits I made. Does anyone know where these command lines are cached on the client agent? I have tried deleting the package cache folder under c:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\SoftwareManagement\Software Delivery\. I have tried resetting the Task agent. I have tried restarting the entire Altiris agent. No matter what I do it always seems to use the same original command line that I first ran the package with and will not use any edits that I make to the command line on the console.

Thank you,

Matt

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

HighTower's picture

After you update the command lines in the package are you hitting "Update Distribution Points"?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, do this:

1.  Make your command line changes
2.  Before you click OK to save out of the Software Resource, right click on the package (not the command line) and click "Update Distribution Points"

This forces the SMP to generate new hash data and the clients will download any changes.

Also, what version of 7.1 are your running?  The most current is 7.1 SP2 MP1.1 Rollup 6 (phew!).

MSkor's picture

I am pretty sure I tried updating the distribution points and then refreshing packages on the local site server but I can't be sure. I will try that tomorrow. I was able to get it working today by making a new command line with a slightly different name and deleting the old one. That is obviously less than ideal.

We currently run 7.1 SP2 but no MP1 or MP1.1 or rollups. I haven't had a chance to plan out the upgrades yet.

andykn101's picture

If I do any changes like that I disable the Policy, update config on the client, enable the policy and update config again and that seems to work for me.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

etk1131's picture

Make sure you do a Resource Membership (delta) update after updating the distribution points, then update the agent config on the Site Server, then update the packages.

SOLUTION
MSkor's picture

I do not use replication and the jobs I am referencing are not policies. I will give the Distribution point update and delta update along with site server config and package updates a try.

Thank you.