Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Updating Content for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Editio v12.1 in an Network Server not connected to internet

Posted May 29, 2012 10:49 AM

Recently I had to install Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition in a isolated network. Neither server nor clients are connected in any way to internet.

For content updates I've started downloading the jdb files as described in http://symantec.com/docs/TECH102607 and bringing them to the server in a flash drive.

The clients are getting daily updates without a problem. However, when I launch the SEPM console I get the message "Security Status - Attention Needed". Scrolling down the details I see I am getting messages indicating that intrution prevention signature files are out of date and that SONAR content is out of date...

It seems that the jdb files do not have all the content that needs updating but only AV definitions. How can I update the rest of the content?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

• 2.  RE: Updating Content for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Editio v12.1 in an Network Server not connected to internet

Posted May 29, 2012 11:31 AM

The .jdb file could update the SEPM only for the virus and spyware protection definitions and not the other components like (PTP & NTP).

Is there now way that any of your servers could connect to the internet?

Regards,

Elango M.

• 3.  RE: Updating Content for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Editio v12.1 in an Network Server not connected to internet

Posted May 29, 2012 11:36 AM

Thanks, Elango, for the quick response.

We have a second network that is connected to the internet. 

Ralph

• 4.  RE: Updating Content for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Editio v12.1 in an Network Server not connected to internet

Posted May 29, 2012 11:52 AM

For SEP 12.1 SBE, the only way to get all features of SEPM updated, is to get it connect to the internet.

Regards,

Elango M.

• 5.  RE: Updating Content for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Editio v12.1 in an Network Server not connected to internet

Posted May 29, 2012 12:46 PM

Thanks, Elango.

If I have the same product (SEP SBE 12.1) installed in a network connected to internet. Is there a way to transfer the updated files, patches, what not, from the internet-network to the isolated network?  It seems that there is a way to do something along those lines with LUA but I assume (I don't know, I'm new to this product) that this is not available to SEP SBE?

Thanks again,

Ralph

• 6.  RE: Updating Content for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Editio v12.1 in an Network Server not connected to internet
    Best Answer

Posted May 29, 2012 05:11 PM

That is correct. With SBE you cannot use LUA or replicate liveupdate data from another SEPM to this one. These would be options available with the enterprise edition.

• 7.  RE: Updating Content for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Editio v12.1 in an Network Server not connected to internet

Posted May 29, 2012 05:16 PM

Though not a desired outcome, at least I know where things stand.

Ralph