Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Updating SMG 10.6.1 to 10.6.4, what happens to mail flow?

Posted Jul 05, 2016 04:41 AM

Hello and thanks in advance. I do have a virtual SMG on vmware 5.1 filtering inbound only traffic. The current version is 10.6.1, and I need to update it to 10.6.4.

The SMG is sending filtered emails to an exchange 2010 server through a connector.

I understood the best practices for the update process, but I do have a lot of doubts regarding mail flow.

When i do update command center and then individual scanners or viceversa, what does actually happen to mail flowing in?

Does it sit in to the queue or does it just get "rejected". My desidered scenario would be having mail queueing up into the mail queue during the update process, and then eventually having to manually flush the queue once the update is completed.

It's probably a stupid question, but i cant find anything usefull about it.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Updating SMG 10.6.1 to 10.6.4, what happens to mail flow?

Posted Jul 07, 2016 02:15 AM

Hi,

10.6.1-4 is the most current version available in public.

What version are you currently using?

What happens during update:

1. Download only of packages - this will speed up your downtime

2. If scanner and CC (control center) are installed on the same host both roles are updates at the same time. If they are split, update CC first and within short time (hours to days) update scanner after scanner. But all that is well documented.

3. Update itself: After accepting legal notice, etc the MTA stops (or sould have already been stoped manually). By then port 25 isnt available on your side, therefor no mailserver coming from the internet can connect.

4. Mails in the delivery queue on smg remain on the system and get delivered after the update finishes. No flushes etc should be needed.

Just a little reminder using smg and exchange: If you are using tls, take a look at the suported tls versions and ciphers on windows prior the update.

Regards

Thomas

• 3.  RE: Updating SMG 10.6.1 to 10.6.4, what happens to mail flow?

Posted Jul 26, 2016 07:07 AM

Hello, I am sorry for the late answer. Thank you for your help.

My actual version is 10.6.1-2.

It is a VM hosted on Vmware 5.5.

I am not familiar with Control Center, actually I dont even know what it is, it has coused me some confusion. For what I do understand it is a separated appliance that controls different sites where SMG could be present, anyway I dont have it.

I am running a single appliace of SMG.

I did already an update check and it went allright, I do plan to pause MTA service and flush queues, shutdown SMG, take a snapshot, boot it up and start the update.

That should be all

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Updating SMG 10.6.1 to 10.6.4, what happens to mail flow?

Posted Jul 27, 2016 03:54 AM

Hi,

Thanks for coming back in detail.

CC is the Control Center, simplified the web server where you add policies, etc. SMG installations can be on box (cc+scanner) or separated (cc+many scanners).

But your plan sounds good.

Thomas