Video Screencast Help

Updating the Symantec Brightmail Gateway appliances from 9.5.1-6 to version 10.0.1-2

Created: 16 Dec 2012 | 6 comments
Ajit Jha's picture

Hi All,

I am planning to Update the Symantec Brightmail Gateway appliances Software Version from 9.5.1-6 to version 10.0.1-2. I have panned for backing up and planned the steps to upgrade. Request you to please have a look and correct me if i am wrong:

1. Log into an appliance using an SSH client or log in at the console. You must use your administrator credentials to log in.
  2. To list available updates, type the following command: update list
  3. To download the update, type the following command: update download
  4. To install the update, type the following command: update install

To make a backup of the current version:

1. Login to the Control Center
  2. Navigate to Administration -> Hosts -> Version
  3. Click Backup Now
  4. Select Full Backup
  5. Select where to save the backup (On the Control Center OR an FTP server)

Actually i was looking for any article or documentations from some of you who have done this before. I am very poor in Command Line implementation. Your views and ideas are really required.

Thanking you all in advance for your kind support.

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ajit Jha's picture

Just to add..

I have never done this before so all the steps mentioned above are segregated from KBs and release notes. Anyone having the Video or Screen Capture of same, would help me grap quickly.

Thank you once again.

Regard's

Ajit Jha

Technical Consultant

ASC & STS

donk2000cl's picture

Hi Ajit,

You are correct with the procedure. I did this procedure many times. In the backup procedure, I do a download of the backup to my computer, because if the update fail I can reinstall it with the same old configuration. About this configuration it is convenience have an image in DVD of the actual version that you have. Download the image from fileconnect symantec page.

In reference of backup, a full backup include the quarantine spam this increase the size of backup, you can consider a small size, use the two other options.

Carlos Espinoza

Ajit Jha's picture

Hi Carlos,

Thank  for the advice. I have no idea of backing up Image of an Appliance. Is it possible to backup the iso of the appliance. If yes, do let me know how to move ahead.

I want to play a safe game while upgarding.

Thanks Once Again!!!

Regard's

Ajit Jha

Technical Consultant

ASC & STS

donk2000cl's picture

Hi Ajit,

No the image cannot save from the appliance, you must be download from fileconnect, inside must be have an iso file that you can install if you lost the information when you update. This iso file reinstall the system and left it as factory setting. After you reinstall and made an inital configuration you can restore your configuration from your backup.

To download the backup to your computer, you must be go to Administration > Version > Restore/Download mark the file that you backuped and press download button. This save the backup to your computer. To restore from this file you must be use the option "Upload a backup file from your local computer" in the same page.

If you use a local temporary configuration before to install this backup file, the backup do not restore the following parts of your temp config:

• IP address
  • Password of admin

This parts you must be reinstall manually. But all others rules are restored.

Hope this help.

Carlos Espinoza

Ajit Jha's picture

Thanks Carls,

I will do the upgradatiin next week. Will update here.

Regard's

Ajit Jha

Technical Consultant

ASC & STS