Video Screencast Help

Upgrade to 10 - Backout plan

Created: 13 Feb 2014 • Updated: 22 Feb 2014 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I've previously posted about moving from 9.0.4 to 10.0.2.  I've been tied up with other projects, but am moving forward with this now.  My plan is still the same as when I had previously posted (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/upg...), but I'm not really sure what my fallback plan it.  I'll have SQL backups, of course, but I don't really know how I would go back to the old server.  I suppose if things go south, just turn off the new server, repoint my shared storage to the original 9.0.4 system, restore the database backups, and restart services?  Does anything actually happen to the Vault store data on the shared storage during the migraiton, or are the only changes to the databases?

Also, I'm planning on upgrading to 10, and doing a SQL migration after.  In the previous post people had suggested SQL first, but my preference is after.  Any reason this isn't a good idea?

Finally, since I'll be using the migration tool and you aren't supposed to run any configuration tools with the fresh Vault install on your new server until post-migration, for 10.0.2 hotfix 2, can I go ahead and update/replace the files before I fire things up the first time, or should I wait until I've upgraded, then do the hotfix afterwards?

Thanks!

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

TonySterling's picture

So based on above I think  you have it covered.

I suppose if things go south, just turn off the new server, repoint my shared storage to the original 9.0.4 system, restore the database backups, and restart services? 

Don't forget to update DNS for the EV Alias.  :)

To answer your question:

Does anything actually happen to the Vault store data on the shared storage during the migraiton, or are the only changes to the databases?

No, the data isn't changed.

Also, I'm planning on upgrading to 10, and doing a SQL migration after.  In the previous post people had suggested SQL first, but my preference is after.  Any reason this isn't a good idea?

Nope, as long as your current version is compatible it doesn't really matter, IMHO.

Finally, since I'll be using the migration tool and you aren't supposed to run any configuration tools with the fresh Vault install on your new server until post-migration, for 10.0.2 hotfix 2, can I go ahead and update/replace the files before I fire things up the first time, or should I wait until I've upgraded, then do the hotfix afterwards?

I think you should do the hotfix after the upgrade, again, my personal preference.  At this point you might as well go to the latest sp.

 

SOLUTION
JesusWept3's picture

i think the reason most people say do SQL first is because going to 10 is a big change, things might break, and you might wonder is it cos of SQL or is it cos of EV?

But if you do one and then leave it for a week and then do the other, that should give you some idea as to what may be the cause for any issues