Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 04:50 PM

Hi, we are in the process of updating our SEP clients from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2. We have a new server in place running SEPM 12.1.2, I have updated about 90 clients to talk to this new server, that part is all good.
    I have now updated 1 SEP client from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2 (using a group install package), I got the notification, clicked download, then got another notification and let it reboot my PC.
    I've logged in, then double clicked on the SEP tray icon, I got UAC prompt which I understand is normal (but annoying since SEP 11 didnt' do that), I enter my admin creds and click ok, but then nothing happens, no SEP UI. I task manager I see a SymCorpUI.exe process for each time I've tried to open the SEP UI.
    In SEPM I see my PC has updated, Deployment status = Install seccussful, Deployment target version and Deployment running version both = 12.1.2015.2015.
    Have I done something wrong? Would a policy stop the UI displaying? I've just imported all our policies from our SEPM 11 server.
    (about the UAC prompt, I see the same behavour as this guy https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-12-client-prompts-uac-access, we have a SEP 12.1 package for another department, it's installed manually, and there is no UAC prompt to open the UI, I might just end up installing "manually" if this is what happens, we want the users to be able to open the UI and check the status)
    Thanks
    Gareth

• 2.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 04:54 PM

What OS is this on?

• 3.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 05:19 PM

Sorry, Windows 7 32 bit.
    I just tried another reboot and saw a message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file" I the title mentioned SymCorpUI.exe, didn't quote have enough time to read it fully before PC rebooted. So there is a high chance Areallia is blocking this exe as an unclassifed application, but I didn't see the usual taskbar popup. I couldn't see SymCorpUI.exe in the unclassifed list, but whitelisted about 5 other Symantec exes, hopefully that will let it run.
    After the reboot I've got no SEP icon in the notification area, and nother happens when I run SEP from start menu. I'll give it time for Areallia policy to update, then report back. Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 05:32 PM

Can you remove via add/remove programs and try a reinstall locally?

• 5.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 07:43 PM

Uninstall (or change or repair) from add\remove programs gives me Windows Installer error "error opening installation log file. verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable" I used a custom "Client Install Settings" with log file = C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Logs\SEP_INST.LOG, that, C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Logs, did not exist (I'd seen the Logs folder there before), I created the Logs folder and SEP_INST.LOG file but still get that error.

I exported SEP 12.1.2 package and deployed on another PC using Altiris, rebooted when prompted, logged in, no SEP in notification area, Symantec services set to manual and not running, started the services, then able to open SEP from start menu, SEP reported that a reboot was required, rebooted, now can't log onto the PC cos the network service is not started, have rebooted 2 times.

Upgrade from SEP 11 to SEP 12 has not been easy so far frown

• 6.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 08:26 PM

Cool, now I'm getting "an attempt was made to logon, but the network logon service was not started" on both the PCs I've upgrade SEP on (push and script install), when trying to log on with a network account, local account has been on "applying user settings" for about an hour.

Is SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 12.1.2 not supported?

• 7.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 08:47 PM

A direct upgrade to RU2 from 11.0.6 is supported so there is something else going on here.

You may want to check a few of the logs:

What logs do I need to gather in order to troubleshoot a failed SEP 12.1 client installation?

Article:TECH164067  |  Created: 2011-07-06  |  Updated: 2013-02-28  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164067

• 8.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 10:19 PM

I can't log on at all now with local or network account, and can't ping the PC, can't get to c$ to check any logs. I've contacted our local Symantec person, hopefully they can help.
    My problem is kind of like this https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vms-stuck-applying-computer-settings-after-upgrade-sep-121-ru1 but I can't log on with any account.

• 9.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 23, 2013 11:50 PM

The seems to have installed ok.

Logged on in Safe Mode again, to check logs

Look in the following file system locations: %temp% or %systemroot%\temp
     •Contains SEP_INST.log (MSI log)
    •Contains ROLLBACK.log (if rolled back during migration)
    Nothing in %temp%, windows\temp\SEP_INST.LOG is old, not touched since 15/07/11
    No ROLLBACK.log
    %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Logs\SEP_INST.LOG, empty

%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\%currentversion%.105\Data\Install\logs
     •Contains SIS_INST.log (Symantec Installer Log) = looks ok, "Exiting due to status ACTION_COMPLETED_SECCESSFULLY"
    •Contains RORU.log (uninstall log of previous product) = looks ok, last entry is Finished

Other files to obtain when troubleshooting failed client install

%Program Files%\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\<latest-version>\Scripts - nothing interesting

%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\<latest-version>\Data\Scripts\ - no scripts folder

Further logs:
     •SETUPAPI.LOG ◦Important: This log used to be located in C:\Windows\ but it is now located here: C:\Windows\INF
    No SETUPAPI.LOG, opened SETUPAPI.dev, mentions of Symantec at end, and teefer.inf, same driver that was causing issues here https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vms-stuck-applying-computer-settings-after-upgrade-sep-121-ru1

• 10.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2013 11:59 PM

has diabling teefer driver helped?

• 11.  RE: Upgrade from 11.0.6 to 12.1.2, now SEP client won't open

Posted May 28, 2013 07:09 PM

Do you know where I do that?
    I've had a look at "C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log" on another PC I installed SEP12.1.2 on (on this PC I get past the logon screen but just see a black desktop, no icons or taskbar), there are a few errors relating to Teefer driver.

>>>  [DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA]
    >>>  Section start 2013/05/28 15:02:34.426
          cmd: "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.2015.2015.105\Bin\installTeefer.exe" -m -l 2 -s "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.2015.2015.105\Bin\TeeferVista\"
    <<<  Section end 2013/05/28 15:02:34.426
    <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

!    cci: !NCI: Op=BIND, Layer=NDIS, Upper=RasPppoe Lower=\Device\{984EAB5F-F1DB-4159-8ACC-FBB8AD77882C}, Error=0000001f
    !    cci: !NCI: Op=BIND, Layer=NDIS, Upper=RasPppoe Lower=\Device\{1D6CF6BA-7CA7-43AB-8EA8-445F3FD367E4}, Error=0000001f

>>>  [SetupScanFileQueue]
    >>>  Section start 2013/05/28 15:02:34.442
          cmd: "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.2015.2015.105\Bin\installTeefer.exe" -m -l 2 -s "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.2015.2015.105\Bin\TeeferVista\"
    <<<  Section end 2013/05/28 15:02:34.442
    <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

flq: DeleteFile: 'C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\teefer2.sys'
         flq: DeleteFile: 'C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\teefer2.sys'
    !    flq: DeleteFile: FAILED!
    !    flq: Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.