Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade 8.0.2-12; ESX 3.0.0. - kernel panic

Posted Jun 26, 2009 03:58 AM
    Hello,
    we have Vmware Esx 3.0.0. and Brightmail Gateway. I want to install new upgrade 8.0.2-12.
    But info said:
    You must modify your environment before updating to Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.2 if you have deployed Symantec Brightmail Gateway as a virtual appliance using the following combination:
    --VMware ESX Server Version 3.0.2 or prior
    AND
    --Using the virtual LSI SCSI controller

At this moment I´m unable to upgrade to the latest version of VMware ESX Server, so I can alternately change my virtual machine to use the BusLogic SCSI controller. But If I did this change, I´ve got kernel panic.

Please help!

Thank You
    J.

• 2.  RE: Upgrade 8.0.2-12; ESX 3.0.0. - kernel panic

Posted Jun 26, 2009 08:20 AM
    So you are saying you've made the changes but are still having the issue?

Think you probably want to open a case and work with Support if this is the situation.

Kevin

• 3.  RE: Upgrade 8.0.2-12; ESX 3.0.0. - kernel panic

Posted Jun 26, 2009 06:32 PM

Action is required for customers using the Virtual Edition of Symantec Brightmail Gateway and VMware ESX Server 3.0.2 or earlier with virtual LSI SCSI controller prior to updating to Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.2. If you are using a VMware ESX Server environment with a release prior to 3.5, you must do one of the following:

- Upgrade to VMware ESX Server Version 3.5
    - Switch to the BusLogic SCSI controller

Failure to perform one of these fixes prior to installing Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.2 will result in complete loss of functionality for your Brightmail installation.

--------------------------------------

You stated in your post that you had to do both. It is my understanding that either would be sufficient. I have yet to ungrade and am curious with this and any additional info/issues. 

• 4.  RE: Upgrade 8.0.2-12; ESX 3.0.0. - kernel panic

Posted Jun 26, 2009 10:26 PM
    I'm reasonably certain the minimum requirements for prior releases have stated 3.0.2.