Video Screencast Help

Upgrade from Backup Exec 12.5 to 2012

Created: 14 Mar 2012 | 9 comments

Hello,  I am currently running Backup Exec 12.5 in our production environment.

I have recently upgraded all the licenses in the license portal to the latest 2012 version.

I have set up a virtual machine and installed 2012, was able to activate the licenses, and ran some successfull tests.  I am now ready to put 2012 into our production environment.  I am hoping for some quick guidance on the best way to do this.

1. Install 2012 over-top of the existing 12.5 install?

2. Completely un-install 12.5 first, then install 2012 from scratch?

3. Is there another option I'm not aware of?

4. Also for the agents on the servers, do I un-install those first, then push the new agents, or can the new agents be pushed with the old agents still in place?

Our environment is small, so saving/exporting the current selection lists and jobs isn't necessary.  So if a clean install is the better option, I'm not worried about setting everything up from scratch.

Thanks for any advice and guidance you can provide before I take on this upgrade.  :)

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

Well you can peform an inplace upgrade which will retain existing jobs,media sets, catalogs and all

other settings. Before proceesding with the upgrade stop SQL server BKUPEXEC service and make

a copy of DATA and CATALOGS folder (these folders are located at X:\Program Files\Symantec\

backup exec). Once media server isupgraded you need to upgrade the remote agents too, no need 

to uninstall the agents just push the new agent on top of the old ones.

Sush...'s picture

Our environment is small, so saving/exporting the current selection lists and jobs isn't necessary.  So if a clean install is the better option, I'm not worried about setting everything up from scratch.

Reading the above lines I would suggest to always got for uninstall of older version and Fresh installation of New version.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

AmolB's picture

Adding to the above comment, if you are planning to start from scratch then install BE2012 on

a Win2008 R2 server. I am sure your existing media server must be a Win 2003 or Win 2008 server.

Sush...'s picture

Also it would be good idea and safer to go through the Software Compatibility List (SCL) and Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) before installing BE2012

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581 : SCL BE 2012

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175582 : HCL BE 2012

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

DavanW's picture

Thanks for all the tips!  Sounds easier than I expected.

My current production media server is a Win 2008 Standard SP1 64bit machine; it's not R2.  According to the software compatibility document, that shouldn't be an issue.  Should it?

AmolB's picture

As far as its 64bit then there is no issue.

RRE's picture

Hello DavanW,

Before doing an Inplace upgrade , you have to consider a lot of things. There is a major change between BE 12.5 & BE 2012.

Media server Requirements can be checked from the SCL above

Hardware requirements can be checked from the HCL above.

Please go through this document which will give you an idea about the changes in BE 2012.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5215

Few Highlights

1) In above posts , i see a comment where it is mentioned that media sets will be retained. Thats not the case. There is no seperate policy or media set in BE 2012

2) In Earlier version of backup exec , you can create multiple B2D folders on same volume With BE 2012

Backup-to-disk folders on a fixed disk volumes are converted to either disk storage or read-onlybackup-to-disk folders. If there is only one folder on a drive, it becomes a disk storage device. If there are multiple folders on one drive,then one of the folders is chosen to become the disk storage device for the drive and all the others become legacy or read-onlybackup-to-disk folders. Any jobs targeting the new legacy backup-to-disk folders are re-targeted to the disk storage device for that drive.

Backup-to-disk foldersthat have only network sharepaths become network disk storage devices

3) Regarding Remote agents , there was an introduction of Enhanced network security from BE 2010 R3 onwards. Same is continued with BE 2012 . please refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156427

Regards
RRE

If this answers your question, Please mark it as solution

DavanW's picture

Thank-you for the reply, RRE.  However I believe you misunderstood me. 

I do NOT need to retain anything from the 12.5 install, including jobs, selection lists, etc.

I do NOT use B2D, only physical tape.

But thanks for the links, I will definitely go through them all.

Ken Putnam's picture

I do NOT need to retain anything from the 12.5 install, including jobs, selection lists, etc.

You may want to import your old catalogs, tho  see

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68896

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"