Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Upgrade From EV 2008 SP5 To EV 9.0 SP4 R1

Created: 03 Oct 2012 • Updated: 16 Oct 2012 | 11 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am planning to upgrade EV 8.0 SP5 to EV 9.0 SP4 R1. We are running outlook 2007 and EV client 7.5. I believe EV client 7.5 is not supported with EV 9.0 SP4 server. I am wondering which EV client I should install on the user computer which is compatible with outlook 2007. Also, if I upgrade the server first and client later would it effect message archiving? What would be in best approach for an upgrade?

Thank you.

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

LCT's picture

You should upgrade the client first to the intended server version (in this case EV9 SP4) and test the client....then upgrdae the server. When the server is upgraded first it should not affect EV archiving. If the client is on EV7.5 it shouldn't be affected that much (depends on the EV client functions that you require that are introduced in the newer versions) but you should upgrade the client as soon as.

LCT's picture

just to add...if you had to upgrade EV server first...EV7.5 client should not be affected with EV9 server, it should still work, just that it is not supported if you log a case with symantec. Most of the recent EV clients are supported with Outlook 2007.

Hope that helps.

rsiddiqi's picture

Will EV client 7.5 works with EV 9.0 SP4 for basic functionality? Like retrieving item from archive?

If I upgrade the client first to EV 9.0 would it be backward compatible so in other words will client 9.0 works with EV 8.0 SP5?

Thank you.

LCT's picture

Yes it should still work fine...basic EV funtions, there's no reason why for not to work unless there's a specific issue on a particular machine.

EV9  client will work with EV10 and EV8 servers.

SOLUTION
Rob.Wilcox's picture

As a matter of curiousity..  are you then planning to go to 10.0.2 from 9.0.4 ?

rsiddiqi's picture

I am planing to go from EV 8.0 SP5 to EV 9.0 SP4

Thank you

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Yep, I understand, just wondering if you then plan (soon) to go up to 10.0.2 ...

rsiddiqi's picture

I am planning to go to v10 however this will be difficult one. So far I was running version upgrades on same server. For v10 I need to upgrade OS, move from physical to virtual. What is the best way of doing v10 upgrade along with OS.

The EV upgrade work out fine this weekend. The system is now on EV 9.0.4 and I am ready for Exchange 2010 migration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rsiddiqi's picture

Hi Rob, I watched the video. So the 1) step would be to install EV 10 on new hardware(virtual) and on new OS(Windows 2008 R2). 2) use import utility to transfer all EV settings from existing system to new system. It sounds like we can use the existing SQL server. Is there any docs which walk through and upgrade from 9.0.4 to 10? Thanks

Rob.Wilcox's picture

You have to remember your data... ie your partition data, and your index data.  That has to be involved in your migration, unless your 'storage' is 'moveable'.

How to upgrade is included in the release notes with each of the EV releases.