Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade Guardian Edge clients with 7.0.8 fails but 7.0.6 OK

Posted Nov 30, 2010 01:46 PM

We have some XP laptops with the old Guardian Edge Encryption Plus Hard Disk 7.2 installed.  So far on some using the new build of 7.0.8 after the reboot from the framework it states

"Symantec Endpoint Encryption Framework Client is not installed.  Please install and try again"

Repeats each time we try.  The only new feature we added to the client was the option to check "safe mode" boot.  I do not suspect that is it though.  All other settings are the same.

However, we can use our previous 7.0.6 build and it upgrades the Guardian Edge clients fine.  Both are using the vomus parameters.  7.0.8 will upgrade 7.0.6 just fine also with the same commands.  Is anyone having a similar issue?

Could there be something different new in 7.0.8 I need to do?  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Upgrade Guardian Edge clients with 7.0.8 fails but 7.0.6 OK

Posted Dec 10, 2010 12:54 PM

You should contact the Suport folks at the following numbers.

In the U.S., Canada and U.S. Virgin Islands: 888-252-4804
    In France: 0800-901756
    In the United Kingdom: 08-082345038
    In Germany: 0800-6644401
    All Other Locations: +1 801 790 0059 or +49 69 8383 1088

When you call you'll be prompted for your Account ID, which is xxxx.The system will also prompt you for information about whether you are calling regarding a current or new Support Incident. You'll then be routed to your Assigned Engineer, or, if he or she is unavailable, to the next available Support Engineer.

Please Note: Toll Free numbers may not be accessible in some countries, depending on your telecom provider.

Let me know if you have any issues getting support.

Best, Thomas

• 3.  RE: Upgrade Guardian Edge clients with 7.0.8 fails but 7.0.6 OK

Posted Jan 04, 2011 08:43 AM

I have contacted support and even though we have upgraded dozens of Guardian Edge clients (until recently) to SEE 7.0x they say it is not supported.  Only the 9.x (9.3 I believe) versions of Guardian are.  We will manually decrypt the remaining Guardian clients as there is no documented solution.  It was odd that many of our Guardian Edge client upgrades to 7.0.8 which failed could be upgraded with the 7.0.6 SEE package.  Many of he 7.0.8 upgrades worked too.

"Symantec has its own SEE agent and is not compatible with the Guardian Edge version." was the response.  Maybe I just got lucky with the ones which worked.

Thanks. 

• 4.  RE: Upgrade Guardian Edge clients with 7.0.8 fails but 7.0.6 OK

Posted Jan 04, 2011 09:50 AM

To be able to upgrade to any of the SEE 7.0.x versions from GE versions you need to be at GE Framework version 9.2.0 or above.

From the install documentation under upgrades.

Upgrades of the SEE Management Server differ according to the type of database utilized by the version you are upgrading from.
    • Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) database—Symantec Endpoint Encryption version numbers less than 7.0.0 and GuardianEdge Framework version numbers less than 9.2.0 utilize an ADAM database. Refer to "From Versions that Utilize an ADAM Database" on page 75. 
    • SQL database—Symantec Endpoint Encryption version numbers that are equal to or greater than 7.0.0 and GuardianEdge Framework version numbers that are equal to or less than 9.2.0 rely on a SQL database. If you are upgrading from a version that utilizes a SQL database, continue to the next section.