Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Upgrade NBU 6.5.6 to 7.5, media server(UNIX) with specific role of SAP backup and Data domain.

Created: 29 Dec 2012 | 10 comments

Hi,

Firstly, Wish you all a blissful new year 2013 :)

I'm desperately in need to have a procedure document (Case study or Best practise) or guidance to upgrade our media server (UNIX) from NBU 6.5.6 to 7.5.

Software :  Netbackup 6.5.6 and DD BOOST NetBackup Accelerator and Management Integration (NBU 6.5.6)

H/W specs:

Oracle SPARC Enterprise M5000, Four 2 x 2.53 GHz SPARC64 VII Quad-Core Processors, 3 x StorageTek 8 Gb Fibre Channel PCIe

Media server also has additional functions:

• SAP Backup via BRTOOLS – Production Hosts
• SnapView Snapshot\Clone – Production Hosts and Array Manager UI
• Mount Snapshot\Clone – NetBackup Media Server
• Backup to Disk – NetBackup Master\Media Server
• Unmount and Housekeep – NetBackup Media Server

EMC datadomain specs:

EMC Data Doman DD880 Configured as a CIFS\NFS based storage pool with 52TB usable SATA for de-dup backup data, 2 Dual port optical Ethernet NICS, DD BOOST NetBackup Accelerator,  Management Integration DD Replicator &

If anyone has worked on such a enviroment can share their procedure document or can guide me to understand the upgrade process it will be very helpful to me :)

I've tried SORT but couldn't make a head or tail out of it, for my current setup and additional function of Media server, since this project has been thrown in from no where and EOL for 6.x already done I'm left with no assistance apart from my trusted Symantec forum.

I'll await for the helping hands here :) Cheers !

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Netbackup 6.5.6 and DD BOOST NetBackup Accelerator

Really?? Accelerator is a new feature that was introduced with NBU 7.5.

DD is still not supporting Accelerator - please see HW compatibility guide.

All relevant compatibility guides - OS, HW, database agent and snapshot client can be obtained here: 

Master Compatibility List: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59978  

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Nicolai's picture

Anything that involves snapshots are by nature complicated. You should involve Symantec consulting on such a task (and you have a really good case for management if this system has been thrown from nowhere as you state). There is a change that something you used in 6.5 won't be supported in 7.x.

If this snap solution is custom, you really need to built a test lab to ensure the snap backup works after the upgrade. 

Pls note if you use BOOST for the Data Domain you need to upgrade the plugin when upgrading Netbackup to 7.x.

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Abhii01's picture

My bad couldn't get back on this, Thanks for your inputs and advise :)

I've got more details on the activity related to the Unix media server upgrades.

1) Setup seems to be on SOLARIS zones, with Media server installaed on GLOBAL zone and the SAP application hosted on the local zones.

2) The media server has a mirror disk which can be used as a PLAN B to UP the server in case of any issues with upgrade, UNIX team to break mirror prior to upgrade.

Would anyone be able to help me on how ot proceed with NBU installation since ZONES is a newbie for me.

P.S: I'm told that the OST plugins are already update and I'm only asked to work on NBU upgrade.

Adding to it, I was asked to watch out for any issues with Unix security wrappers during upgrade, if someone can guide me on the process of upgrade with above points considered, I'll go through the same and understand it before further process, 

any inputs will be much appreciated ...Cheers !

If it takes me to call in any of you experts with in your valuable time, I'll be more than happy to :)

Thanks again !

Abhii01's picture

I've gone through one of the posts where Marianne  posted a technote link

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/implementin...

would you be able to provide which part of this will be suitable for my requirement, pardon my ignorance of being naive about this upgrade, But I'm a quick learner :)

Marianne's picture

WOW! Today's posts are quite different from your original post!

Please see this TN for local zone installation instructions: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65627

Also refer to this TN if installation/upgrade fails: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187856

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Abhii01's picture

HI,

My upgrade attempt failed, I've attached the possible logs, 

Syamntec suspect corrupted PBX in previous installation.

I feel some access level issue based on the PBX error logs...

Expert comments needed :)

AttachmentSize
pbx_error.txt 10.03 KB
NBBU_7.5_base_install_trace.txt 60.94 KB
Toltec unix media server upgrade issue.doc 1.06 MB
CRZ's picture

This one seems pretty simple...

From pbx_error.txt:

Installation of <VRTSpbx> was successful.
## Installing package <VRTSpbx> in zone <awssvsmds011>
pkginstall: ERROR: unable to make temporary directory </temp/backup/installgqaG43>

No changes were made to the system.
## Installing package <VRTSpbx> in zone <awssvsmds021>
pkginstall: ERROR: unable to make temporary directory </temp/backup/installZqai53>

## Installing package <VRTSpbx> in zone <awssvsmds002>
pkginstall: ERROR: unable to make temporary directory </temp/backup/installDraO53>

## Installing package <VRTSpbx> in zone <awssvsmds017>
pkginstall: ERROR: unable to make temporary directory </temp/backup/installLsaa63>

## Installing package <VRTSpbx> in zone <awssvstol603>
pkginstall: ERROR: unable to make temporary directory </temp/backup/installztai73>

If the script can't write to or mkdir in /temp/backup, you can't use it as NB_TMPDIR :)

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

Abhii01's picture

But I'm able to mkdir on that file system... rather I've issued this export command during the SYMCnetbp package installation which seem to have started off fine and errored onnly at PBX installation !

attached is my putty log during the activity.

AttachmentSize
putty_part1.txt 639.13 KB
CRZ's picture

All your log shows me is that you were able to perform the mkdir in /temp/netbackup_software/NBU7.5/Server_Soft - but the script output clearly shows we're conking out on /temp/backup.

Your df output shows that /temp and /temp/backup are different file systems.  Check their permissions - maybe throw us the output of a mount command - I would wager you that they don't match.

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN

Abhii01's picture

Thanks for your valuable comments Chris, currently the upgrade is on hold due to some patching issues on hte media server and my access is revoked as of now, until next attempt of upgrade. I'll kee this in mind for next attempt :D and post my updates as soon as the upgrade activity is back in process. 

Thanks all ! :)

Abhi