Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Upgrade NetBackup master server from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6 on VCS GCO cluster

Created: 29 Apr 2014 | 1 comment

Hi All,

Our company in the process to upgrade NetBackup master server from 7.5.0.4 to 7.6. Our NetBackup master server is running on Rhel 6.1, NetBackup Version is 7.5.0.4 using VCS (5.1) with GCO (over the WAN) and also sync use Symantec VVR.

We are engadging a system integrator to do it, but I know to know better of the process.

In one of the chapter (page 16 on "NetBackup_7.6_Upgrade_Guide_ver2.pdf" ) said the about location of the db and db/data. Due the the requirement of the NetBackup on VCS cluster this is our location:

# ls -l /usr/openv/netbackup/db
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Apr 10 14:24 /usr/openv/netbackup/db -> /opt/VRTSnbu/netbackup/db

# ll -ld /opt/VRTSnbu/db/data
drwxr-xr-x 2 root bin 1024 Apr 29 06:00 /opt/VRTSnbu/db/data

My question is:

1. Do we need to copy back the db directory and db/data directory to be non un-link?
  2. If we move those directory, would it be ok with the NetBackup cluster integrity? (I just wondering because last time during the migration from 6.5.0.6 single node to 7.6.0.4 with cluster ir required the Symantec expert guy to do it)

Thank you.

Iwan

Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Apologies for responding 2 months later.

Hopefully you have contacted Support in the meantime and got this sorted out?

What I see in the manual is that the issue is with /usr/openv/db/data being a symbolic link, not with  /usr/openv/netbackup/db. This link (netbackup/db) is fine and does not present any issues.

You do not seem to have a symbolic link from /usr/openv/db/data to /opt/VRTSnbu/db/data

If bp.conf VXDBMS_NB_DATA entry correctly points to /opt/VRTSnbu/db/data as well as the  /opt/VRTSnbu/db/data/vxdbms.conf file, all should be fine.

You may want to double-check with Symantec Support.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links