Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade SAV 10.1 to latest Endpoint Protection

Posted Jan 06, 2010 12:36 PM
    Hello.  I currently have about 350 clients running Symantec AntiVirus 10.1, reporting back to my console/management server.
    What is the proper upgrade path? Is it to Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12 or Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 ?
    Technically, is one the more appropriate upgrade?
    Can I upgrade the clients remotely from the manager console? I'm just not sure which product to upgrade to and how to do it.  I've been searching the forums here and Symantec's site but there is too much information and it really varies from response to response.

-thanks
    Bob

• 2.  RE: Upgrade SAV 10.1 to latest Endpoint Protection

Posted Jan 06, 2010 01:16 PM
    Hi

You can upgrade to SEP 11

And yes you can remotely install the clients from the SEP Server

Please find attached the links for installation and deploying the clients

Installing and configuring Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 for the first time

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007082915561148

Creating custom Client Installation packages in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007110513361348

How to Deploy Symantec Endpoint Protection to your client computers using the Migration and Deployment Wizard.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007111409432848

• 3.  RE: Upgrade SAV 10.1 to latest Endpoint Protection

Posted Jan 06, 2010 01:51 PM
    I appreciate your response but it seems that the articles are really for 1st time installs, not upgrades from an existing client. The first article for instance specifically says its only for a new install not an upgrade. So this is in the ballpark but not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Upgrade SAV 10.1 to latest Endpoint Protection

Posted Jan 06, 2010 02:18 PM
     As version 11 is completely different you will have to install the SEP Manager as a fresh installation
    After installing you can migrate only the structure from SSC

• 5.  RE: Upgrade SAV 10.1 to latest Endpoint Protection

• 6.  RE: Upgrade SAV 10.1 to latest Endpoint Protection

Posted Jan 06, 2010 04:12 PM
    Installing the SEP 11 client uninstalls 10.1. That's just how the "upgrade" works in this case.

In places where the network is good, pushing the installer from the server to the client is very easy.

We did run into some snags with some remote clients over T1 or satellite where pushing the installer was slow and really hammered our network connection. Also had some trouble with road warriors who just never had their laptops online to receive the upgrade. In both those cases we ended up tracking them down in person for manual installs. But the push from server option worked well in a lot of cases.