Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade SEPM to 12.1.4 now clients invisible or missing from groups

Posted Mar 24, 2014 04:52 PM

Hi all,

I have a case open with Symantec, but wanted to ask here too.  There was a similar post, but no resolution.

After upgrading the SEPM console from 12.1.2015.2015 (RU2) to 12.1.4023.4080 (RU4a), the clients no longer show in any groups in the SEPM console; the groups are empty.  The clients are talking to the server just fine and are getting their policies and updates.  In fact, the troubleshooting screen on the client shows them in their respective group.  My SEPM server is Win2008 R2 x64 pointing to a SQL 2012 database, and has been running RU2 just fine.  Clients are a mix of RU2 and 12.1.1000.157 (RU1). 

SEP Support had me uninstall/reinstall RU4a from the server, then try copying a sylink.xml file to a client, then try creating a group and adding a client to it with a remote push, etc.  But like I said, the clients communicate just fine.  They’re just not showing in the groups in the SEPM console.  I also tried changing the views and filters on a group.  Any ideas?

Regards,
    Tom.

• 2.  RE: Upgrade SEPM to 12.1.4 now clients invisible or missing from groups

Posted Mar 24, 2014 04:56 PM

So they don't show in any search or anywhere on the SEPM at all?? All clients are affected? How many?

If you go to a client and go to Help >> Troubleshooting, does it show connected to the SEPM? (and green dot?)

• 3.  RE: Upgrade SEPM to 12.1.4 now clients invisible or missing from groups

Posted Mar 24, 2014 05:01 PM

Hi _Brian, correct, even using Client Search shows "There are no results for the selected criteria".  On a client if you go to Help > Troubleshooting, it shows connected to SEPM, a correct/recent update date/time, and a green dot.

• 4.  RE: Upgrade SEPM to 12.1.4 now clients invisible or missing from groups

Posted Mar 24, 2014 05:08 PM

Sounds like a cosmetic "glitch"

Did support get back to you?

• 5.  RE: Upgrade SEPM to 12.1.4 now clients invisible or missing from groups

Posted Mar 24, 2014 05:16 PM

I'm on the phone with them right now.  Will report back with what they say.

• 6.  RE: Upgrade SEPM to 12.1.4 now clients invisible or missing from groups
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 24, 2014 06:43 PM

RESOLVED.

The issue was that the upgrade gave three Views in the SQL database the wrong schema name.  Support had me (actually my DBA) run a command on the SQL server to alter the schema name on the Views from "db_owner" to "dbo".  This made sense since communcation was good between SEPM and the clients, but I just couldn't see them listed in the Clients view because the console couldn't open the SQL Views to present their data.

Here's a screenshot of what it looked like before the fix.  Notice the first three Views have a different prefix of "db_owner" instead of "dbo".

Capture.JPG

Here's the ETrack article they sent.  It was indeed the three Views they site that needed fixing.

Title

SEP clients are invisible in the SEPM console following an RU4 upgrade  

Issue
    SEP clients are invisible in the SEPM console following an RU4 upgrade. They continue to receive updates and show a green dot locally on the client side, but appear to be missing from all client groups in the console.

Cause
    An issue during the upgrade has resulted in database views being missing or having the wrong prefix in the SEPM database.

Solution
    See etrack 3378298.

The exact steps to remedy the situation will depend on if the views are missing entirely, or if they have the wrong prefix.
    SQL database views can be found via the SQL Management Studio; under Databases, sem5 (the name of the SEPM database), Views.

The SQL database views affected likely are: V_SEM_COMPUTER, V_SEM_SVA_COMPUTER, V_HPP_APPLICATION_RISK

If the views are present but with a different prefix compare to the other views in the database, the following SQL script can be used: 
    USE database-name;
    GO
    ALTER SCHEMA dbo transfer incorrect_prefix.V_HPP_APPLICATION_RISK;
    GO
    ALTER SCHEMA dbo transfer incorrect_prefix.V_SEM_COMPUTER;
    GO
    ALTER SCHEMA dbo transfer incorrect_prefix.V_SEM_SVA_COMPUTER;
    GO

(replace database-name and incorrect_prefix with what matches the environment)

If the views are missing entirely the etrack contains SQL scripts to recreate them.

• 7.  RE: Upgrade SEPM to 12.1.4 now clients invisible or missing from groups

Posted Mar 24, 2014 06:45 PM

awesome, thanks for sharing!

glad it's working again