Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.0.4014 MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 18, 2009 11:37 AM

Hello everyone,

I am having some major troubles with my current installation of 11.0.3.  Specifically, it is taking a HUGE amount of disk space on the server.  I tried getting into the management console to change some of the settings, but the management console hangl during login, stopping at about 20% progress and never continuing. 

So, I am thinking about upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.0.4014 MR4 MP1.

Can I do this as is, just install 11.0.4 over 11.0.3?  Should I uninstall 11.0.3 first?  What about the clients?  Should I uninstall the current version form them, or will they upgrade in place?

Please help, as this is causing major problems on my network.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.0.4014 MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 18, 2009 05:46 PM

For the space issue, more then likely the logs are taking up a huge part.  If you can login, go to Admin -> Servers -> Right click on Local Site -> Edit Properties -> Log Settings.  By default I believe it keeps logs for 60 days for each event, they can take up large amounts of disk space pretty easily.

You shouldnt have any troubles upgrading the manager from MR3 to MR4 and you can have MR3 clients with an MR4 manager.  Once the MR4 manager is installed, you can push out the MR4 client to your groups.

But upgrading the Manager to MR4 may not fix the issue if the problem exists elsewhere.  Check your Application Event logs and see if you are getting any pertaining to SEP.  Also you can manually restart the Symantec services, this has fixed some of my Manager problems when it decides to stop working.

• 3.  RE: upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.0.4014 MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 18, 2009 07:51 PM

Can you quantify huge in your statement?  How much space is SEPM taking, and which folders? 

• 4.  RE: upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.0.4014 MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 19, 2009 09:53 AM

I have 20 GB of space allocated to my OS partition, and SEP is taking up pretty much all of it - about 18 GB or so. The folder that is taking up the most space is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\inetpub\content.  This folder is taking up about 16 GB all by itself.  I have had to delete a couple of 5+ GB directories in the 'content' folder just to keep my server from crashing.

Yesterday I deleted a 5+ GB directory, and just this morning the disk is full again and I had to delete another. 

So, any answers for my original question?  Can I upgrade in place or do I need to uninstall first?

• 5.  RE: upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.0.4014 MR4 MP1

Posted Mar 19, 2009 10:55 AM

Here are my main culprits:

17 GB - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1   (note: these are the web logs generated by Symantec)

27 GB - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

This says...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008121712452848

...that you can specifically upgrade in place.  This document also says that it will keep my settings.  My question is will this upgrade fix my space issues?  If it keeps my settings, won't it also keep hogging all the space?  Would it be better to just uninstall and reinstall?