Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  "Upgrading" to 12.1.2 by installing on new server ... need advice

Posted Jan 25, 2013 06:25 PM

Hi folks,

We have a smallish (single server, slightly over 100 clients) SEP 11 installation.   Since we are migrating the function to a new VM (2008 not 2003) I was planning to do a fresh install for 12.1.2 to support future Win8 clients.    I do NOT have the recovery/encryption password so I can't use the "backup and restore" method, but the infrastructure is not complex so we can deal with sylinkreplacer/the new "client replacement" tool. 

During configuration I am presented with the choice of "Install my first site" and "Install an additional server in a site".  Which is better??  I am planning to use the embedded database (we have a SQL server but the SEP needs are simple).    I have reviewed some installation documention I found on this site but didn't see which of those to choose. 

We have three different "domains" on our current management server, which I want to collapse down to one.  I also have to say that (besides adding clients) the current setup is pretty much a mystery to me.  It wasn't documented when I got here and Symantec documentation is confusing.    So a scratch setup (that I have gone through) is acceptable to me. 

Also will the new tool in 12.1.2 that is no longer sylinkreplacer be able to migrate my handful of "legacy clients" - the ones that require 11.x - successfully to the new box or do I need to use the old sylinkreplacer?  I do plan to put these clients in their own "group" in the new server (they are currently segregated out on the current server). 

Any other gotchas I should know about?? 

Many thanks. 

• 2.  RE: "Upgrading" to 12.1.2 by installing on new server ... need advice

Posted Jan 25, 2013 06:29 PM

For reference

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2

Article:TECH163700  |  Created: 2011-06-30  |  Updated: 2013-01-02  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163700

If you're going to a new server, you can install a new site. Once installed you can use the new feature in 12.1.2 to replace the sylink file

Restoring client-server communications by using a client installation package

Article:HOWTO81109  |  Created: 2012-10-24  |  Updated: 2013-01-25  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81109

• 3.  RE: "Upgrading" to 12.1.2 by installing on new server ... need advice
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 25, 2013 06:38 PM

"Install my first site" is the one to choose for you. After installation when the server is up and running you just need as Brian mentioned to connect the ophaned SEP 11.x clients to the new server - easiest way is the new feature in 12.1 RU2 -> Communication Update Package Deployment - hava a look at the below document - this shows you the graphical overview over the whole process:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/sep-121-ru2-and-reset-client-communication

• 4.  RE: "Upgrading" to 12.1.2 by installing on new server ... need advice

Posted Feb 07, 2013 12:38 PM

Thank you both!  I proceeded forward after getting this clarification and our new server is now serving about half of our clients - without crashing daily like the 11.x server has been after the latest round of Microsoft updates :(  (even after being uninstalled ...). 

The new migration feature works really well for about half of our clients - I will read the document to see if I can get help with the other half, or I might create a new sylink and use "sylinkreplacer".  We did find that we need to have Windows FIle and Print Sharing on our Win 7 boxes, which is annoying (having to undo security features is always annoying).